VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only heard of a couple of these alpha1 rear stress bars installed. They look pretty nice but are there any thoughts on how well they work? Difficult to install? Do they seem like high quality parts? How much and where can you get 'em? I have a bit of a creak coming from the hatch area on my GTI so I'd like to stiffen up the rear end (going to get a sway bar soon I think). If there are any thoughts on them, let's hear 'em!
Here's their website: http://www.alpha1motorsports.com/rear_carbon_bar.html

·
Registered
992 Posts
Re: any thoughts on the alpha1 rear stress bar? (Lugnut)

Do a search, there was just a group buy on them. I missed it and am hoping there will be another. Look at it this way, Ventodan, roger moore and GaryH all have them in their cars. If that doesn't say something about their quality, I don't know what else would. Every post I've read from people who have them say they are made of high quality stuff.

·
Registered
25,085 Posts

I have not put mine in yet....will do so soon. The quality is very nice, the ends are well made and I love the quick release ability. Overall install does not apear to hard either, basic tools needed. I have the chromoly version, but Ventdan, Gary H and a few others have the carbon version and like them. Also there have been two group buys of late for them so there are a lot of people with them now here.
Stu

·
Banned
4,768 Posts

The links work but there is no info other than tech specs. How do I buy one since I missed the GB? Anybody know how to contact them or a distributor?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Re: any thoughts on the alpha1 rear stress bar? (VDUBBINDizzy)

yah, contact:
Peter Lin
Alpha 1 Motorsports
(561)236-2495
E-mail: [email protected]
i bought mine a couple weeks ago, should be at my house right now...
i'll let you know after i install it

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Re: any thoughts on the alpha1 rear stress bar? (anto)

actually, i'll include the whole email...
> Hi,
>
> The Cost for the Rear STB is as follows:-
>
> Chromoly - $180.00 + Shipping
> Carbon Fiber - $275.00 +Shipping
>
> To pay by PayPal
> Log on to http://www.paypal.com (you can use you credit card or checking account)
>
> 1. Enter the recipient's email ([email protected])
>
> 2. Enter the amount you wish to send ($180.00 for Chromoly, $275.00 for Carbon
> fiber)+$12.00 Shipping+3%
>
> processing fee by paypal
>
> Chromoly - $197.76 ( Paypal total)
>
> Carbon Fibre - $295.61 (Paypal total)
>
> 3. Payment can be withdrawn from your credit card or checking account
>
> 4. Enter you account information
>
> 5. If you encounter problems see the demo of the operation at paypal
>
>
>
> Note: Please put your name on the notes* window to identify yourself
>
> To pay by Money Order and Check:
>
> Make Check ot Money Order payable to:
>
> Alpha 1 Motorsports
>
> Send to: 3922 W Sandpiper Dr. Unit 4
>
> Boyton Beach, FL 33436
>
> For the amount of ($180.00 for Chromoly, $275.00 for Carbon fiber)+$12.00
>
> *** The orders will be processed once the Money Order/Check is cleared.
>
> Once payments is recieved, you will be notified immediately via e-mail on the status of your
> order.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Peter Lin
> Alpha 1 Motorsports
> (561)236-2495
> E-mail: [email protected]

[Modified by anto, 2:26 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
251 Posts

Track tested (EuroTunerfest), Maalox Approved!!!!
My car used to plow pretty good in turns, and I have to say that adding the STB has made me more neutral and actually able to get a little oversteer on command!
Definitely worth it, and very easy to install!
Maalox.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Re: any thoughts on the alpha1 rear stress bar? (MaaloxRacer)

yah, just installed it last nite...works awesome...!!!
it wasn't very hard...
a couple tips...you don't need to take off the plastic fender cover...(you'll just create more work)
the drill points are actually not covered up by the fender cover.
another thing...you want to cut out the carpet interior, otherwise the STB is too long, the quick release fits so precisely that only a couple millimeters off will not allow you to pin it all the way throgh...
i spent forever trying to make the bar short enough so it'll fit, while it was already at the shortest setting...
by cutting out the carpet, i gave it enough slack so that you can adjust the length so the pin will go all the way through.
uhmm...i realize this may not make any sense, but if you have the STB, it would make perfect sense...
anyone need help with this, email me: [email protected]

·
Registered
969 Posts

anto,
you beat me, i haven't even put mine on yet, it's been sitting in my room for about 3 weeks, i'm going
to put it on with my autotech sways next month.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Anto,
Cutting the carpet works, but not necessary. The thickness on the carpet lining in the trunk varies quite a bit (lose foamy materials). You may have to compress the lining by rotating the STB so that it extends outward on the brackets. Repeat this a few times will help compact the carpet lining so it fit better. It is a pre-fit procedure that will be revised in the assembly procedure document.
Also, after you install the STB, make sure you Pre-load it by rotating the center bar to extend the rod end bearing to put pressure on the bracket and the chassis. This will help to counter-act the reactions forces on the shock tower induced by the suspension and torsional loads of the chassis.
Cheers.
Alpha 1 Team

1 - 11 of 11 Posts