VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I just received my H&R coilover kit from Jason's (SchnellVR6) Group Buy. A great deal at $1050 and he did an excellent job putting it together.
The kit (standard, not ultra) comes complete with the 2 spanners for adjusting the height.
A few questions to any H&R coilover owners out there.
1) Are the coilovers correctly preset to any particular height out of the box? Looks like about 7 threads are visible underneath the collars. Where should I set them on the threads to start off with?
2) How much should I drop the front and back to keep a reasonable street ride with 235/40/17 tires? Anyone have troubles hitting their rims (8x17 with 38 offset)?
What's the ride going to feel like compared to stock and other coilover/spring setups?
thanks

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Any Tips on H&R coilover install on an S4? (VR6of9)

thanks for all the tips

Anyway the H&R's went on without a hitch this weekend along with the APR snub mount. oh my god. They are great - supple ride, improved steering response, no more bouncing on rough roads or during on/off throttle. As much drop as you could possibly use for the street with plenty left over. APR's mount took care of the tranny slop, helps transfer power to the wheels more firmly whenever you shift or get on it. With the coilovers I don't feel a need to upgrade to a stiffer rear sway bar as they do such a good job of eliminating body roll in corners.
Knowing where to set the spring height collars initially is the biggest question. If you can get it right the first time it will save you a lot of time by not having to r&r all 4 wheels again to get to them and adjust them. One inch on the threads does NOT necessarily equate to a one inch difference in ride height! A digital micrometer came in very handy in adjusting the locking collars btw, and yes you DO need a coil compressor to take apart the old suspension and to get at the strut tops if you are reusing them.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Re: Any Tips on H&R coilover install on an S4? (VR6of9)

You'll want the sway bar soon...I just did mine to a 19mm and it's insane you like your car now...wait till you do the sway bar...OMG!!!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts