VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my car without noticing the acid rain fallout on the roof and hood. Now what should I do? Was there any TSB issued for 2001 Jetta 1.8T (AWW) about acid rain fallout?
I've tried clay, swirl mark remover, glaze, and canauba wax - no success but an awesome depth and shine.
I heard buffing helps. How about ValuGard acid rain neutralizer, akhaline remover, and ph 7 balancer?

·
Premium Member
36,791 Posts
Re: Any TSB on Acid Rain Fallout? (2001Bora)

You can't get acid rain out without repaintin the car. What happens is the rain beads on your car, then the sun comes out and cooks the acids into the paint, causeing the ringlet you see. That is etched into the paint, not the clear coat, so buffing won't help. I went through this with my Honda Accord (black - so you could really see them) and with no success. How long have you had the car? And are you sure they were there before you bought the car?

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Any TSB on Acid Rain Fallout? (adg44)

Bought my car October 2000... ur kidding? repainting? The car was sitting out on the lot for 3 months before I bought it. Well that's what the salesman told me when I bought the car.
Its on my roof and hood. You're kidding total repaint? Meaning what? Stripping hood and roof paint to the primer and repainting and clearcoating?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Re: Any TSB on Acid Rain Fallout? (2001Bora)

2001Bora, you are in prime industrial fallout territory. Have you had this problem before with other vehicles in that area?
I think most damage as recent as that could be buffed out by a reputable detailer. How could acid rain damage the paint underneath the clearcoat without damaging the clearcoat? That doesn't make sense.

·
Premium Member
36,791 Posts
Re: Any TSB on Acid Rain Fallout? (Lumalux)

It does damage the clear coat, too. If you look at the clear from a certain angle... you'll see little "pits" in it. 99% of the time, the etches are in the paint, not the clear.

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I used to drive a silver 1992 Mercury Sable and that car didn't have paint problems. Actually looked brand new the day the engine mounts broke.
I detail my mother's car a black 1999 BMW 528i and I haven't noticed anything like what I see on my Jetta's roof and hood.
My father's bright green metallic 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis Edition has damage on the roof. I think the clearcoat is coming off on the roof. Then again his car has 200,000+ miles; he drives from Swarthmore, PA to Hopewell, NJ everyday to work (100-150 miles per day).
FORGOT :: I work with a polisher on my car.

[Modified by 2001Bora, 6:16 PM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Any TSB on Acid Rain Fallout? (adg44)

Yeah, it looks like waterspot etch lines but the etch lines are deep. Sometime the etched lines are incomplete and do not connect; sort of an incomplete circle.
Really hate to see that on my car when I spend an afternoon detailing.

·
Premium Member
36,791 Posts

Not a paint defect at all. This happens because of rain... hence the rain spots/etchings in the paint. There is no rain when they are painting the car. I went through this with my Honda and I can tell you, they won't take care of it for you. Especially since you bought your car over a year ago. Also, acid rain only happens on the roof and hood, cause that's where the water stays so when the sun comes out and reflects the light against the water which left those ringlets in the paint....you get the idea. What color is your car? Black? Green? Darker colors show more paint imperfections and also, they keep the heat longer which also causes the ringlets. Finally... you said it wasn't on your silver car - that's probably because you couldn't see it. I have it ever so slightly on a really really small section of my hood, but I can only see it under florescent lights. I noticed this the day I brought the car home and put it in my garage. Was I upset? Ehhhh slightly, but it's going to happen sooner or later, and there is no way I'm going to let a body shop repaint the hood (cause aftermarket paint is never as good as factory paint... it's thinner, chips easier, is more prone to acid rain, etc). So I would just live with it if I was you.. and be happy. Hey, with all the time you spent on your paint, I bet it looks really really good! I mean, my Honda did after the amount of time and chemicals I used on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.