VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Are Any tuning companies working on the launch control for 6mt?

I know it has been brought up a few times by others as well as myself, that our manual cars are limited and cut off from launching hard.

My specific question is this, is any company actually looking into this yet to maybe disable it or work around it when getting flash tuned? I haven't seen or heard anything about it so if there is actually news/info please post it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Subscribed. Interested in this as well. Also, no lift shifting would be ideal.
from what I understand, APR already has this and launch control for the MKVI's so hopefully it's a matter of time before we get something, right?

I'm also guessing we'll have to be ready to pony up the $$$ and get ready for a clutch upgrade to handle this kind of abuse? :p

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
from what I understand, APR already has this and launch control for the MKVI's so hopefully it's a matter of time before we get something, right?

I'm also guessing we'll have to be ready to pony up the $$$ and get ready for a clutch upgrade to handle this kind of abuse? :p
I certainly wouldn't abuse it that much... just wondering how much should one set aside for a new OEM clutch. ~$700-1000ish including labor?

·
Registered
114 Posts
UM Tune does fine with launches. But be sure to turn the ESC completely off. It takes a bit of practice and the latest UM tune is easier on the stock clutch

·
Registered
816 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
I certainly wouldn't abuse it that much... just wondering how much should one set aside for a new OEM clutch. ~$700-1000ish including labor?
I'm fairly technical (changed water pumps, fuel pumps, timing belts before) at swapping out stuff. If there was some guide out there somewhere to do a clutch swap in the next couple years, I wouldn't mind doing it myself. Spend $1,000 could get a stage 3 clutch that could handle up to 450ft/lbs of torque and that could easily handle some random abuse. Should still be fairly daily driveable too.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have launch control from the factory. Remove bleeder orifice, Rev to 6000+, dump clutch, away you go.
Lol launch at 6000+, your funny haha. Even if we did try that I bet the car would still kill throttle input

Are you talking about that little yellow diaphragm in this link? or what bleeder orifice?
yes he's talking about the little yellow piece in the oem clutch bleeder block. Or you can buy the ecs one which has a larger opening even after you take out the yellow diaphragm.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Lol launch at 6000+, your funny haha. Even if we did try that I bet the car would still kill throttle input

Didn't kill throttle input when I did it. I experienced was some slip due to delayed clutch engagement though. I still need to take the orifice out and take it for another go.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Didn't kill throttle input when I did it. I experienced was some slip due to delayed clutch engagement though. I still need to take the orifice out and take it for another go.
Wow you really did it? Doesn't 6k seem excessive though?

And next time you do it record the gauges! Lol I would actually like to see how the car reacts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Doesn't 6k seem excessive though?
No.

I used to launch my FWD MK3 at 3500 - 4000 back in my "racing days" and my MK4 R32 at 6000+ all the time at the track. For reference, I would get a 2.1x 60 ft launching around 4500 in the R32 and 1.8x launching at 6000+ (this was a completely stock R32).

And my best 60 ft in the MK3 was a 2.2x.

I actually want to data log with my VAG-COM next time, but I think the sample rate is too slow to get any useful data.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have a feeling some of the feeling of "killing throttle input" during the 1-2 shift and during launch is really just the engine bogging due to traction and not having enough torque to turn all 4 wheels over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No.

I used to launch my FWD MK3 at 3500 - 4000 back in my "racing days" and my MK4 R32 at 6000+ all the time at the track. For reference, I would get a 2.1x 60 ft launching around 4500 in the R32 and 1.8x launching at 6000+ (this was a completely stock R32).

And my best 60 ft in the MK3 was a 2.2x.

I actually want to data log with my VAG-COM next time, but I think the sample rate is too slow to get any useful data.
I guess I just think it's excessive then lol I guess I'm just scared of blowing up a brand new car since its my first haha

I have a feeling some of the feeling of "killing throttle input" during the 1-2 shift and during launch is really just the engine bogging due to traction and not having enough torque to turn all 4 wheels over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
That's actually a good point, I've never thought about the car not having enough power during launch to overcome awd grip

·
Registered
374 Posts
Does your car have an ECU tune such as APR, REVO, UM, Etc???

I think that ECU tunes are already addressing the torque limiting issue and that may be why you are able to launch.

My car, when rev'd beyond 2k, will just close the throttle butterfly and basically go back to idle when you take your foot off of the clutch. This is with the traction control in ANY state: On, sport, and completely off.

·
Registered
502 Posts
100% showroom stock.
I've also tried launching mine at 4500rpm, when releasing the clutch and hammering the throttle, the engine bogs back down to 1000rpm-ish.
I've owned 4 subaru WRX/STI's and NONE of them EVER performed like this. This is what leads me to believe something in the ECU is doing this. The engine has plenty of power, that is not an issue at all.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I've also tried launching mine at 4500rpm, when releasing the clutch and hammering the throttle, the engine bogs back down to 1000rpm-ish.
I've owned 4 subaru WRX/STI's and NONE of them EVER performed like this. This is what leads me to believe something in the ECU is doing this. The engine has plenty of power, that is not an issue at all.
You're either taking too long to release the clutch pedal, or you're not continuing to give increasing gas as you let the clutch out. The engine should not bog like that. Mine certainly doesn't.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.