VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running a evo cai or aem intake. What are the results of these intakes. also what mods do you have w/ them?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Re: Any VR6 running the evoms cai or aem intake? (tcrboravr6)

I just met a guy at Tunerfest with the original AEM intake... told me he dynoed at +10 wheel HP. Honest guy, low key, I believe him (and the intake looks very well made/angled). I was curious that the piping seemed to be a little smaller than the MAF back (3").

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Any VR6 running the evoms cai or aem intake? (MaaloxRacer)

Since I am local to EVO i stopped buy one day and asked a few q's. They said since AEM is a metal pipe it retains heat versus theirs which is not. In AZ i might be a factor but not to sure. I know that AEM is the top intake for a Honda.

·
Registered
31,002 Posts

Nowyadunit...
Someone who looooves AEM will defend this one.
quote:[HR][/HR] They said since AEM is a metal pipe it retains heat versus theirs which is not. [HR][/HR]​
...with talk of testing and stuff.
Either way, I don't think unless the metal or plastic was 350 degrees would any are be resident in one space long enough to pick up any heat.

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Any VR6 running the evoms cai or aem intake? (Jman5000)

im leaning towards AEM cause of its history with hondas! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
Does a intake upgrade such as Evo's or AEM's really increase horsepower? How much, if so?
Couldn't I just do an OEM conversion from the dual intercoolers on the Audi TT225?
End result all your doing is making the engine run cooler, right?
Which has more gain? Anyone know how the dual intercoolers on the TT225 cost straight from VAG parts?
Also... how about a Carbon Fibre air box? Anyone make one?

[Modified by 2001Bora, 7:04 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
59 Posts

Hey, I am the guy with the AEM intake, I did have the car on the track this weekend, and I have to say I am very happy with it. The car pulls very well, even after a couple of rounds on the track.
Thanks guys,

Maaloxracer, thanks for the feedback! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
"M"!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Re: Any VR6 running the evoms cai or aem intake? (vwsportivo)

"M" Wazzzzzzup!

I was hoping you'd show up on these boards! Let us know more about the AEM, huh?

BTW... did your friends tape us in action on the track?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Re: Any VR6 running the evoms cai or aem intake? (vwsportivo)

How did the install go? How long? Expect a lot of questions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Re: Any VR6 running the evoms cai or aem intake? (skills)

I will post a picture very soon, the installation is not very hard. The whole thing was done by "EUROTUNER magazine". THey told me the car will be in the december issue...so they told me! However, I will post a picture probably by tomorrow!
Maaloxracer, got you on tape,...big time, got to make a copie for you!
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Re: Any VR6 running the evoms cai or aem intake? (2001Bora)

quote:[HR][/HR]End result all your doing is making the engine run cooler, right?[HR][/HR]​
No, you are cooling the air entering the engine. Actual engine temps should not be affected.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Re: Any VR6 running the evoms cai or aem intake? (2001Bora)

quote:[HR][/HR]Also... how about a Carbon Fibre air box? Anyone make one?[HR][/HR]​
Yes, BMC makes an intake with a Carbon Fiber air box and tube to run to the lower grill...
http://www.theracestore.com carries them
I know little about it and know no one who has it. Looks nice though.
edit ?? url broken or what?

[Modified by oeb, 9:50 AM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
59 Posts
Re: Any VR6 running the evoms cai or aem intake? (toddvwvr6)

Toddvwvr6, nice! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
That is about how mine looks, and I have to tell you, AEM do a really good job. The fact of the matter is that AEM is an engineering company, if it doesen't work they will not marked the stuff! I have heared that they tried it on a 1.8T, and the results weren't that well, so they left it alone for right now! I am not a "looks good"
If it doesn't perform well, I don't want it! I belive there are a lot of good intakes out there, and I wouldn't put any of them down,...because it has to work for you! The only thing that I don't like as much about it is, that it is sitting close to the ground, and you have to watch for floods. I have to say this, I talked to a guy from ROUSH engineering (FORD), and they had set there intake into the fender, right over the left wheel, (good spot for cool air,...may be)! However, all that dirt and sh#@ is kicked right into your filter,...oh well!!!
Than he tells me that air needs to travel as straight as possible, Which is right, (the fastes way from A to B is a straight line)! However, Chevy build ram air into their 34th or 35th or something anniversary Camero, and that thing makes two circles before it reaches the actual filter??? May be it workes, but the hood is made out of metal, (which gets hot) and the two circles nicely shaped into the hood (warm air,...isnt it)???
I am sorry, I don't mean to be like that , but if you are selling me something, you better do your homework before you open your mouth. Don't you guys thing that all these companys should do more research before they sell us stuff??? Sorry guys, I got a little carried away. I wanted to share that with you guys, cause I think you guys would like to know about these things.
Thanks!

[Modified by vwsportivo, 5:41 PM 11-28-2001]

[Modified by vwsportivo, 5:42 PM 11-28-2001]

[Modified by vwsportivo, 5:42 PM 11-28-2001]

[Modified by vwsportivo, 5:43 PM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Re: Any VR6 running the evoms cai or aem intake? (toddvwvr6)

quote:[HR][/HR]Did someone say AEM CAI vs. EVO?
(i love rehashing this over and over again!!)[HR][/HR]​
What are re-hashing w/pics? That w/bumper removal, measurement, cutting, and fabrication an AEM can be fitted?

·
Registered
977 Posts

I just checked out pics of the Evo intake on their website. How is this intake different from the P-flow and eurosport intake? The AEM intake places the filter up near the bumper under the battery right? Seems to me like these are 2 totally different designs.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Re: Any VR6 running the evoms cai or aem intake? (ReflexVR6)

evo has the same with the filter in the bumper....and also a short intake like pflo ...
I said it a hundred times and I will say it again:
can we get some dynos of before/after for each AEM and EVO intakes...please?

[Modified by QuickStick, 3:15 PM 11-28-2001]

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Any VR6 running the evoms cai or aem intake? (ReflexVR6)

The one on the site is the old one. The new goes down to the bumpere like aem. any pics of aem!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts