VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to find the w8 with the most miles or any with high milege to get an idea of longevity, what as done to it, how many times the cam adjusters were replaced etc... ive got 68k on mine and 5 years left on the loan, just seeing what im in for, will i get 200k out of it or will i be doing an audi v8, or maybe a touareg v8 swap at 100k??? how about starting an official w8 100k club??
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
8,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: any w8's above 100k miles?? (B5Speedo)

good site! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: any w8's above 100k miles?? (B5Speedo)

i've got 118k but just completed an engine flush after getting the dreaded camshaft adjuster errors. It seems to be working knock on wood.

·
Registered
8,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: any w8's above 100k miles?? (bcfwdw8)

were the adjusters ever changed or are they the original ones??

·
Registered
8,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: any w8's above 100k miles?? (bcfwdw8)

ok, they will need to replaced with the updated versions

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: any w8's above 100k miles?? (2deepn2dubs)

Did they actually update the adjusters or mesh screen that seems to screw everything up?
I had mine replaced at 45,000 miles and now have 80,000, so I'm hoping that it was an updated part that was used.

·
Registered
8,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: any w8's above 100k miles?? (MattW8)

yes they are newer versions than the originals.

·
Registered
2 Posts

i got a very nice 2003 w8 wagon for $2800 i got her it with 148,000 miles she now has 155,000 c.e.l has a mind of its own goes on an off all the time did a flush she runs good . I drive all day in new york city some times at 80+ mph she is very fast took her up to 125mph running with a bmw m5 all he saw was my rear duel pipes .i will run this car hard all winter lets see how she does .I only need this car to last till spring . if i cant kill her i driver her she likes it hard . godspeed

·
Registered
1 Posts
I drive a 2002 W8, with 100k (km's = 65k miles). Still a nice car to drive. Had some problems with the fan but that is solved now. The only error I still have is a EVAP error.

·
Registered
26 Posts
114k here (and counting). Cam adjusters were done at 52k under warranty when the previous owner had it. I use only Mobil1 5w40 full synthetic, and have had no cam adjuster issues since I've owned it.
I haven't had a torque converter issue, but I did recently do a transmission service after cracking the tranny pan.
^^I just met vertigoeffect last week at the dealer where I work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2003 Passat W8 6MT (Sedan) with 117,000 miles on it now. I have had it for about 1.5 years and I love it! No cam adjuster problems yet, not sure if they have been replaced or not.
I have had to replace a few things though:
- Drive Shaft (front right - bad CV joint).
- Balancer Shaft Belt.
- Radiator (had a small leak on the passenger side).
- Coolant Temp Sensor (rear of the engine).
- Ride Height Sensor (front left).

·
Registered
4 Posts

I have an '04 W8 Wagon with Tiptronic, sport package, black w/ black interior, and tinted windows. Has 73K miles and no problems. Car Runs beautifully. Just replaced serpentine belt. Brakes done @50K miles.
AND........It's for sale, so if you know anyone looking.......

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re: (XR4Tim)

Quote, originally posted by XR4Tim »
114k here (and counting). Cam adjusters were done at 52k under warranty when the previous owner had it. I use only Mobil1 5w40 full synthetic, and have had no cam adjuster issues since I've owned it.
I haven't had a torque converter issue, but I did recently do a transmission service after cracking the tranny pan.
^^I just met vertigoeffect last week at the dealer where I work.

Mobil 1 is not a real full synthetic. It is just ultra refined Dino-Cracked oil. You're paying 3-4 times more for an oil that's no better than the cheapest Havoline on the shelf. If you want the added wear protection of a FULL Synthetic you have to shell out $9-12.00 a quart for Royal Purple or Amsoil.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: (un4givun2)

Quote, originally posted by un4givun2 »

Mobil 1 is not a real full synthetic. It is just ultra refined Dino-Cracked oil. You're paying 3-4 times more for an oil that's no better than the cheapest Havoline on the shelf. If you want the added wear protection of a FULL Synthetic you have to shell out $9-12.00 a quart for Royal Purple or Amsoil.

While some of Mobil 1's oils are conventional dino-oils, the 5w40 Turbo Diesel oil that I use in the W8 is fully synthetic, as is the 10w30 that I use in my turbocharged vehicles. I've used it in -30 degree weather, and it does not gel up like conventional oils.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re: (XR4Tim)

Quote, originally posted by XR4Tim »

While some of Mobil 1's oils are conventional dino-oils, the 5w40 Turbo Diesel oil that I use in the W8 is fully synthetic, as is the 10w30 that I use in my turbocharged vehicles. I've used it in -30 degree weather, and it does not gel up like conventional oils.

You can't go wrong with the Turbo Diesel Mobil1. That's exactly what I'm running in my W8. I catch it at Wal-Mart like once or twice a year in the 1 gallon containers (not 5 quart) and I buy up all they have each time......
However, my Dune Buggy which has an 1835cc air cooled engine runs Amsoil 20w50 Racing Oil. It is by far the best at preventing main and rod bearing failures in VW's air cooled engines.
The 4 ball test even proves this. Amsoil is about 1-1/2 times superior to preventing wear than any other oil tested (2nd place was Mobile 1). They did not compare it to Mobile 1's Turbo Diesel oil. I would like to see that one.
I'm using the 5w40 M1 Turbo Diesel mainly because it meets and or exceeds all of VW's specs for half the price VW wants for their oil.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Re: (un4givun2)

Yea but amsoil is made with little bits of unicorns and I dont want anything to do with that. Im not going to argue the scientific aspects of your choice of oil. Mobil1 did indeed shift to using petroleum based oil and then removing its undesired qualities. Mobil1 is a proven product though and its on any neighborhood auto parts store shelves. Mobil1 is also $3.00 cheaper (average). Amsoil is a true PAO base stock oil and while it may last 25,000 miles without an oil change, I assure you your cam adjusters will not. My choice in Mobil1 is based on how readily available it is and also the fact that im doing 3k mile interval oil changes. Amsoil is the better oil hands down but at 3k mile oil change intervals, Mobil1 is more than adequate.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts