VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
soooo update... my w8 has 96k on it now, only thing major since last post was the gas tank was replaced for the breather tube breaking off and leaking gas whenever it was filled above 3/4 tank, luckily vw covered it under warranty. Just yesterday the cel came on for p2181 cooling system performance malfunction. I suspect its a bad cts... :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you have a VAG then I would first monitor the coolant temp from a cold start. Drive normally and observe. If the coolant temperature reaches 87-90 degrees C within 10-20 minutes of easy driving then it is probably the engine coolant temperature sensor.

If it never reaches 95 degrees then stop, raise the revs to 3,000-3,500 rpm and see if the temperature then raises to 90-95. If so then I would suspect the thermostat.

I see more thermostats cause this than engine coolant temperature sensors

·
Registered
6 Posts
The engine's ECT is located in the large black tube which runs from underneath the lower intake manifold around the back of the passenger side cylinder head to a short 4" hose. The sensor is a two pin grey sensor and is pointing down.
There is another sensor on the lower radiator hose. Same 2 pin grey ECT.
If you don't want to revisit, and you got some extra money you may want to just replace the Thermostat and both ECT's.

But my money is on the Tstat

·
Registered
1 Posts
W8 over 100k miles

Currently my 2003 W8 has 137000 listed. Thermostat needs to be changed, and, other than the recalled item such as the ignition coils, this car has been a pleasure to drive. I replaced the belt close to 120,000 and just recently replaced the front rotors and pads. My goal is 200,000 at least. We shall see. And so the journey continues.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
What's the maintanence costs in reality on these engines? I'm thinking about trading my b6 for one cuz I don't want a car payment anymore.

·
Registered
21 Posts
03 W8 wagon , sport package, black leather, Silver , I have 219,000 miles on it, had the engine rebuilt at 195k to the tune of 4,500$, runs like a champ, but I have the cam ajuster code and the fan runs for a minute or two after I shut it off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Still running

Picked up a 2002 W8 in January, it had lots of repairs and receipts, Fuel module, Brakes etc, but somehow he covered up the fact it needs a timing chain so at 123,xxx miles, it is in my friends shop, only got to drive it a couple months. Hoping it isn't going to be to costly. I have read upwards of 7,000?? Nooo way no thank you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
High Mileage W8s

The one I just got for $600 is in great shape with 209,000 on it.

It wasn't in such great shape when I found it. It was listed as undriveable and puking alternately black and white smoke. With 7 codes on it and an anxious seller, I performed the cam adjuster solenoid shock therapy before starting it, assuring him it would be ok to run afterward. Started it with all codes cleared, it ran beautifully. The white smoke eventually burned off. It drives very strong and rides wonderfully. I drove it home with ease. Flushed green coolant and replaced with G12.

Knock sensor code keeping it from passing smog, but I'm researching that and it should be a $40 fix. Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Who rebuilt your engine, Durb W8?

Green Coolant Drain and Flush

·
Registered
1 Posts
My friend has a W8 with ~110K on the clock. Only needed an auto trans rebuild, steering rack rebuild and is currently misfiring so ignition coils/new spark plugs are coming :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
182,xxx miles on 2002 Wagon. Put new plugs in, fixed oil and exhaust leaks, deleted SAI, converted to manual transmission. It probably sat for over a year before I got around to working on it. I usually only mess with diesels but 4motion is necessary to get a VW up my driveway without doing it in reverse, which is inconvenient on a daily basis. I have a BHW engine that will get worked and go in if/when the W8 goes.
Don't really know the history before I bought it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
182,xxx miles on 2002 Wagon. Put new plugs in, fixed oil and exhaust leaks, deleted SAI, converted to manual transmission. It probably sat for over a year before I got around to working on it. I usually only mess with diesels but 4motion is necessary to get a VW up my driveway without doing it in reverse, which is inconvenient on a daily basis. I have a BHW engine that will get worked and go in if/when the W8 goes.
Don't really know the history before I bought it.
Wow, nearly 200k is something you don't see much when one thinks of a W8. :eek: By chance, did you do a write up on your adventures with the manual trans swap by chance? I'm curious on the adaptation coming from a 5sp Tip, I've head the flywheel needs to change? Did you use a 6sp from another W8, or a different trans all together?

Thank you for any info. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I didn't do a write up. I suppose I could but I didn't take many pics and folks don't seem very interested in W8s. The swap was pretty straight forward. I used a W8 mt6 sedan as a donor. Bolt out, bolt in. The flywheel must be changed as the auto does not have one, it uses a flexplate to attach to the torque converter. Front axles, driveshaft, rear differential, and exhaust are specific to the manual trans as well. I only had to lengthen a small part of the harness and transplant a plug for the reverse lights to work. Did it in the driveway on jackstands and a $70 harbor freight ATV jack.

·
Registered
51 Posts
2003 with only 73K miles. My wife drives it to work and back. Had both cam adjusters completed at my local VW dealership. Runs like a top. I love this car.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bought mine from my friend a few months ago. Has 115K on the clock and counting. Just got back my first UOA and all is well with this W8.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts