VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now before you all get excited, I dont own an audi im not trying to disable fwd on an existing quattro car. Im considering the feasability of using a 4000 drivetrain in a rabbit but as rwd only. Im only kicking theoretical ideas around at this point and i dont want any vortex lectures about why i shouldnt waste my time and if I want rear wheel drive i should buy a car that is that way. Im just curious if it is possible to drive only the rear wheels wihtout damage to the trans.
Thanks.

·
Registered
22,318 Posts
Re: any way to use a quattro trans for rear wheel drive? (EerieEric)

You just lock the center differential, then the tranny will work in RWD modus, without front driveshafts. I've heard of a couple of quattros here that has driven like this for several months without any problems.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: any way to use a quattro trans for rear wheel drive? (PerL)

what need to be done to lock the center diff...is it electrical or do you have to take something apart?.. i am a pretty skilled vw tech so i can handle anything.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts

Quote, originally posted by EerieEric »
what need to be done to lock the center diff...is it electrical or do you have to take something apart?.. i am a pretty skilled vw tech so i can handle anything.

hehehe.... i'm sorry... but if your a skilled VW tech, then I figured you would have seen the locking system by now (or would be able to look it up at work)
Anyways.... the locking system is vacuum based.... apply vacuum to an actuator and it locks the diff.... apply vacuum to the other side of the actuator, and it unlocks the diff.... the actuator simply moves a rod which is connected to an arm.... this arm slides the locking mechanism inside the center diff. If you just wanted to lock it and keep it locked, you would probably move the arm to the lock position, and wire it in place. I've never had a quattro center diff apart... but I wonder if you could custom make a piece to replace the center diff that would only drive the rear diff.
Of course... the other question is... why not run quattro in the rabbit?

·
Registered
16,956 Posts
Re: any way to use a quattro trans for rear wheel drive? (dtompsett)

You might also look to the Porsche 924. There was a good thread a few months back about use/sharing with it, and how it related.
It's not a job for the weak of heart. Good luck.

·
Registered
677 Posts

Interesting, most people would just install an engine transversely behind the driver as in this beast:

http://driversfound.com/scirocco/history/bimotor/
*Images taken from driversfound.com/scirocco - a great site for scirocco information and some general A1 tech!
Is there any reason you want to do a Dahlback Golf type setup?
Please don't take offense, I don't want to put you off or anything - just wondering...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Re: any way to use a quattro trans for rear wheel drive? ([email protected])

If you were to lock the centre diff, would half the power still be going to the front wheels anyway? Also, how would you fit the engine and transmission from a "north-south" layout into a transverse layout rabbit without MAJOR bodywork surgery?
You could just could and buy a 4WD rabbit, the Golf Rallye or Golf syncro.....

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: any way to use a quattro trans for rear wheel drive? (beermonster)

We dont have any manuals realtaing to old quattro stuff at the shop, just new passat 4motion. I havent looked at that because I wasnt sure if changes have been made from the old quattro system to the present one. I dont want to run quattro, im not really interested in the traction benefits. Im looking to do a strange swap with a big fun factor. I want to run a longituditudinal 5cyl w/ a 3 duece carb setup. Like I said I may not even attempt it, I am just trying to iron out the very basics and learn a little about quattro. I realize it will be a huge undertaking. I am planning on a project for a few years. Thanks for the tip on the 924 i will check that out. Thanks for all the other positive and negative input

BTW george I work in Gaithersburg @ King VW, is fortitiude based near there?

Modified by EerieEric at 10:04 AM 6-26-2005

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

i was just doing some reading on the 924 stuff and it looks like i really need a 924 donor and an audi 5cyl. that would give me exactly what i m going for unless the quattro setup could work just as well.

·
Registered
22,318 Posts
Re: any way to use a quattro trans for rear wheel drive? (beermonster)

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
You might also look to the Porsche 924. There was a good thread a few months back about use/sharing with it, and how it related.

The big difference with the 924 vs the Audis is that the 924 has the tranny mounted in the back, it's rear end is mostly the same as in a beetle, only with the tranny installed backwards.
Quote, originally posted by beermonster »
If you were to lock the centre diff, would half the power still be going to the front wheels anyway?

Yes, it would, but as long as you dont have any front axles, it would only spin along for the ride. I doubt there would be much of a power loss.
Quote »
Also, how would you fit the engine and transmission from a "north-south" layout into a transverse layout rabbit without MAJOR bodywork surgery?

Surgery is necessary, and I think he is aware of that already. A 4-cylinder will fit longitudinally under the hood of a Rabbit, a 5-cylinder would be a bit more work.
Quote »
You could just could and buy a 4WD rabbit, the Golf Rallye or Golf syncro.....

The problem here is that there was never built any Golf Mk1 (Rabbit) with 4wd, and the Mk2s were never brought to USA with power to all 4 corners.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks for summing up some of that stuff, well put! I know if I undertake this project there will be lots of welding and fabricating. Im open to any suggestions or ideas. Still examing my options, looks like i need to do my own research on the 924 unless someone can point me to a good thread on vortex. The one I found made it seem more plug and play. It looks like quattro may be my best bet. Part of my inspiration came from a PVW car a couple yrs ago that was a rabbit(golf) with 5cyl turbo and quattro from the UK. I think I need to dig up some information about that car

Modified by EerieEric at 1:01 PM 6-26-2005

·
Registered
22,318 Posts

Quote, originally posted by EerieEric »
Im open to any suggestions or ideas. Still examing my options, looks like i need to do my own research on the 924 unless someone can point me to a good thread on vortex.

Not the best thread, but this is the one that George mentioned above.
944 trannny ina 4000

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks that gave me a lot of insight. The 944 setup may help in sitting the 5cyl a little further outside of my passenger compartment because of the bellhousing in the rear. I guess the measurements vs. room i have to work with will be the deciding factor. Im sure it would be cheaper to stay strictly audi. But if i needed to replace the clutch im sure I would rather have the porsche setup. What do you guys know about 5cyl engine codes as far as Compression ratio, power output, availability of cams, benefits of 10v vs 20v. basically what would be the best motor to run on carbs

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: any way to use a quattro trans for rear wheel drive? (vtgti)

I hadnt measured yet but I figured there must be a big difference. I havent had to many thoughts other than trying to find out the problems in handling caused by a rear track wider than the front

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.