VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a car is a car but my wife's Jetta needs some maintence work and don't feel like paying the dealer to work on her car. I know Hondas inside and out, but would anyone have or know any websites to change spark plugs (since it seems there's a intake manifold in the way, tranny fluid, etc...
Much thanks in advance!

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
Re: Any websites to work on 1995/96 Jetta GL? (chuck_simpson)

quote:[HR][/HR]Your best bet would be to purchase a Bentley manual, especially if you plan to do regular maintenance on your wife's Jetta. They usually run around $45... and you can hopefully get one from Mike Potter http://www.parts4vws.com
I think New Dimensions carries them too: http://www.vwaftermarket.com
Good Luck.[HR][/HR]​
Couldn't agree more. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Also, if you need help with something that is not clear in the Bentley, post the question here and you should be able to get answers pretty quick.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Any websites to work on 1995/96 Jetta GL? (surefooted)

Well I would like to change the spark plugs. They are way over due. Her MPG really sucks now

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Re: Any websites to work on 1995/96 Jetta GL? (CivicSiRacer)

Here's how to change the plugs: Go to your dealer and buy the plug wire boot puller (came standard on the hood rod on VR6s, but we 2.0 guys got screwed). You need a spark plug socket, an extension and a flexible socket joint. You need to take off the fuel injection connectors on injectors 2 and 3. From there, it's rather intuitive. If you don't want to get the plug wire boot puller from the dealer, you can use needle nose pliers, but BE VERY CAREFUL not to rip the boot. If you do, it'll cause arcing and you're looking at new plug wires. Any questions?
HTH,
T.C.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts

After you get the Bentley, get the Haynes shop manual. It does a good job covering stuff the Bentley is short on (like R&Ring door handles!).
The spark plug boot puller for the VR6 only works on one or two of the plugs on the 2.0L engine...at least that is my experience using one. It was a PITA changing all the plugs but it can be done and is slightly better than having to drop the engine for a change (what I gotta do on my other VW
)

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Re: Any websites to work on 1995/96 Jetta GL? (Air_Cooled_Nut)

quote:[HR][/HR]The spark plug boot puller for the VR6 only works on one or two of the plugs on the 2.0L engine...at least that is my experience using one[HR][/HR]​
Are you referring to 2 and 3? They are a pain to get to, but if you reach under the plenum runners and hold the puller onto the plug wire boot while you pull, it'll work. I have the bruises on my fingers to prove it.
1 and 4 are a breeze.
T.C.

[Modified by collins_tc, 9:50 AM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
156 Posts

I just did mine this past weekend..also put in a new cap,rotor and plug wires...wish I had the tool cause one of them is a pain..I ended up using a pair of tongs to get it out..as the others said just be careful not to rip the wires..in my case it didn't matter cause i was putting new wires in..overall its pretty straightforward

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Re: Any websites to work on 1995/96 Jetta GL? (collins_tc)

Thanks TC, I'll remember that! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Hey guys thanks. I was just baffled cause on Hondas all your do is remove the spark plug cover, take out the spark plug wires, and pull the plugs out.
On the GL the intake manifold (is that what it is?) covers 2 or 3 spark plugs. Weird

·
Registered
8,633 Posts

I agree...on all the Accords / Civics I've worked on they all have the plugs easily accessible right up on top. Score one for Honda there for sure.
But having said that, it's not TOO difficult to change the plugs. I have kind of narrow hands and long fingers so I was able to finesse the plug wires off by GENTLY pulling on the wire and wiggiling it back and forth to get it out. No problems yet. For the more stubborn ones, you can use a pair of needle nose pliers and GENTLY pinch the boot and pull/push up on it. Shouldn't need to do that but I did once so just an FYI.
As for the shop manual, I actually prefer the Haynes for Regular Maintenance items because it has better / more illustrations and more detailed info on how to do regular things like this.
The Bentley is a MUST HAVE though for the more in depth info into other items like the wiring diagrams etc. I have both and whatever isn't in one, is usually covered in the other one.
As someone else pointed out, just post your questions here - you'll almost always get an answer really quick from somebody.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Well I would like to change the spark plugs. They are way over due. Her MPG really sucks now
[HR][/HR]​
What kind of plugs did you get? I just did them on my wife's Golf a couple weekends ago and she had the OE Bosch plugs in there with 50,000 miles on them. I put in Bosch Platinum (not the +4s) and the difference was huge.
T.C.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Yeah I bought her Bosch Platnium 4s too. I have them in my Civic Si and it helped smooth out my engine. I was burning up spark plugs left and right since I autocross alot. The Bosch's have been great so far.

·
Banned
6,535 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Yeah I bought her Bosch Platnium 4s too. I have them in my Civic Si and it helped smooth out my engine. I was burning up spark plugs left and right since I autocross alot. The Bosch's have been great so far.[HR][/HR]​
ever been canyon racing? ...ever been interested ?.????
i love little honduhs hahahahahaha

·
Registered
6,157 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]The spark plug boot puller for the VR6 only works on one or two of the plugs on the 2.0L engine...at least that is my experience using one
Are you referring to 2 and 3? They are a pain to get to, but if you reach under the plenum runners and hold the puller onto the plug wire boot while you pull, it'll work. I have the bruises on my fingers to prove it.
1 and 4 are a breeze.
T.C.[HR][/HR]​
IF you want a plug puller that works well and you don't mind spending the extra $, then I'd go with the tool that the guys at Techtonics Tuning have. It's a very nice metal plugboot puller, thats just like the one the dealership is supposed to use.

(edited for the right tuning shop!)

[Modified by flieger, 2:00 PM 11-27-2001]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts