VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Isn't it about time for Audi to upgrade the 1.8T to the new 2.0T? Has anyone heard if the VW 2.0T going to be a choice on 2005 A4's?

·
Registered
8,485 Posts
Re: Any word on my2005 new engine choices? (engine101)

Does VW plan on building a 2.0t??
If not, they would be safer to stick with the 1.8t.
They have had enough problems as it is with power hungry owners blowing up thier engines with too much boost, and not building up the engine first

·
Banned
19,336 Posts
Re: Any word on my2005 new engine choices? (Sepp)

nah. the 2..0t is a vw only engine. v and audi will not be sharing the next gen of engines.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Re: Any word on my2005 new engine choices? (duandcc)

I find that hard to believe. I guess time will tell, but having 2 totally separate engine development programs seems...uneconomical to say the least.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Uh, so you're saying that the fact that Audi and VW both have a 3.2L V6 and an 1.8T is a complete coincidence? VW owns Audi, why wouldn't they share the same technologies. I understand the fact that they hhave to differentiate them so the common buyer doesn't realize it, but billzcat1 is right, they're not going to waste $$ developing everything separately.
They totally share the same engines. They may have differnet ECUs and other components to change the output, but they are the same basic engine.
So, back to the original question. Isn't their engine line-up a bit dated? Their base engine output is really falling behind the base engine output.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Re: Any word on my2005 new engine choices? (engine101)

Let's hear it for a 25vT 5 Cylinder!!! Preferably in an '05 Neu Audi SportQuattro! That debuts in WRC And detroys everyone...

Damn it Audi...go back to the roots PLEASE!! I'm sick of seeing these EVOs and STis, get another rally car in there!!!

Later
LB

·
Banned
19,336 Posts
Re: Any word on my2005 new engine choices? (billzcat1)

Quote, originally posted by billzcat1 »
I find that hard to believe. I guess time will tell, but having 2 totally separate engine development programs seems...uneconomical to say the least.

VW is going back to 4-valves per cylinder. Only the "premium" brand (Audi) will get 5-valve technology. They have good reason for doing this, there has been way too much cross shopping between Audi and VW. Why buy a $30k Audi when a $23k VW has the exact same powertrain and even a very sikmilar interior?
People have ben buying Passats instead of A4s for this exact reason, and over in Europe same can be said for Golf vs. A3.

·
Banned
19,336 Posts
Re: Any word on my2005 new engine choices? (KARMANN_16V)

read that article more closely. that 3.2 is not a Vr6, it's a 3.2 FSI, which is a standard V6. Also TDI is an Audi engine borrowed by VW.It started as a I5 used in the Euro 100 (aka 5000).

·
Banned
3,228 Posts

Quote, originally posted by duandcc »
read that article more closely. that 3.2 is not a Vr6, it's a 3.2 FSI, which is a standard V6. Also TDI is an Audi engine borrowed by VW.It started as a I5 used in the Euro 100 (aka 5000).

You're right on the V6 i thought it's the same as Touareg/R32 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
But the TDI 2.0L 16v as far as i know should be a VW engine. The TDI technology first came out in an Audi in early 90s.

·
Banned
19,336 Posts
Re: (KARMANN_16V)

My GOD, I wish peole would stop looking to AW for accurate historical info. The first Audi with a TDI was the 1984 100 (aka 5000). It was an I5 that made 84 @ 4500 RPM and 127 ft. [email protected] 2800 RPM. Was it the exact same TDI that is used today, no, but technology evolves. Just like the fuel injection used on modern Audis isn't the same as it was in 1981, but that doesn't mean that the FI systems in 1981 weren't fuel injection. PLEASE, PLEASE, NEVER go to AudiWorld for accurate historical info. About 1/2 of their informationis wrong. They can't even get the "type" and gengine codes of early cars right...

·
Registered
22,319 Posts
Re: (duandcc)

I'm sorry, Dave, but in this case AW is correct. The first direct injection diesel engine was the one that was introduced for 1990 in the type 44. The engine you describe, the 84 hp unit from 1984, was an old-school turbo diesel. Basically a 5-cylinder version of the 1.6TD in the Golf, Jetta and 4k. Not a TDI.
And the reason that VW/Audi is going away from the 5-valve technology in the modern engines is that they are stuffing in an injector right into the combustion chamber, this is the key point of the FSI engines. With both a spark plug and a injector in there, there is no more room for the 5th valve.

·
Banned
19,336 Posts
Re: (PerL)

DAMN! I hate it when I'm "sure" I'm right and somebody smarter comes along...I could have sworn that there were some older I5 TDIs...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts