VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i left to get my brother from school which is like 14 miles away. When i left my house i had a quarter tank of gas. On my way back home my please refuel light came on as i was leaving his school. By the time i get home the needle is right above the 0.
Wth! I drove 70 mph, in 6th gear all the way @ like 2400rpm. There is no way gas is supposed to drain that rapidly! Anyone have any clue whats goin on? Im 1k passed my 40k tuneup if that means anything. Please help.. gas premium prices are too high to be fillin up 3x a week.
Thanks in advance guys! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
FV-QR

yeah the cold is killing my MPG numbers as well, its what the put into the fuel + run rich mode staying on longer to warm the engine.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
FV-QR

ditto. i used to get 380 or so to the tank. this last tank, i went 275.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: FV-QR (Krieger)

so ur saying u use a quarter tank of gas to go 30miles in 70º whether? that seems impossible and the dealer thinks the same. Thats poor engineering to me..esp for europe where its always cold.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by dubman6 »
i found that helps...

in the city yes... but on the highway, smart driving will save even more.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: FV-QR (tdotA3mike)

70mph in 6th @ 2400rpm isnt "smart driving"?

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
FV-QR

70mph in 6th @ 2400rpm isnt "smart driving"?

no its smart driving but also
coasting as much as possible and avoiding the brakes as much as possible help,

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (jaycheetwood)

i used to,, and now it sucks all off a sudden!

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
FV-QR

so ur saying u use a quarter tank of gas to go 30miles in 70º whether? that seems impossible and the dealer thinks the same. Thats poor engineering to me..esp for europe where its always cold.

yes, i was pissed when i saw how fast my fuel ran out...
im now thinking this shady ass texaco station i stopped at near down town orlando might have added a bit of water to the mix. might explain why my car just seemed... off.
new gas (BP, ftw) and she is pulling just as good as normal, and im at 109 miles to 1/8 of a tank somehow.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Re: Anybody burn thru fuel lately? (dubman6)

Please help.. gas premium prices are too high to be fillin up 3x a week.
Thanks in advance guys! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Trade in for a thrifty Prius. Your granny will be proud of your new found sensibility.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Anybody burn thru fuel lately? (rickjaguar)

ive always wanted to BT a prius.lol im takin my car to the dealer 2mro to see whats up.

·
Registered
34,109 Posts
Re: (jaycheetwood)

Quote, originally posted by jaycheetwood »
i get 28 - 32 mpg consistantly..

I get 26-28... but that is with a roof box on top of the car full of snowboarding equipment, with a hilly commute.
People from FL complaining about cold weather affecting their cars... FL temperatures right now is about spring time temperatures for other parts of the US/Canada: Check the basics: tire pressures, air filters, plugs, throw in some good fuel injector cleaner, etc.

Modified by GT17V at 7:23 AM 2-3-2010

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
22-24 mpg's per tank lately for me which I find to be pretty unusual

·
Registered
637 Posts
Funny this is being brought up right when I started noticing this. I figured it was something to do with me taking the fuel pump out to replace the cam follower but after seeing all of this I'm thinking otherwise. Cold, regions, could all be factors????

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (rdjr74)

So i freakin fill all the way up today after running my current tank 0. $48, 68ºF, 16.977gal and it gives me rite off the bat 430 miles on my MFD. It NEVER did that before, it would always come on at like 375-390 and id have to drive slowly to bring it up that high, so i think they might have done something accidentally when they changed the coils??? I have no clue whats going on, but im making a detailed log this week and see what happens! Crazy!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.