VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the topic states...
I would like to add a boost guage to my MKIV... but, don't want to add an A-pillar mount with an analog boost guage.
I did mount in my '93 MR2 Turbo a boost controller, and it was kinda neat that the readout was digital and numeric led display. It did/does not take up alot of space and it is simple in concept...
So, is there any product out there that is a simple 2"x3" LED Display that would give real time boost readings....

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Re: Anybody done a simple LED numeric boost display for the 1.8T (emumtl)

Any others? I like this digital idea...
This is even crazier but would it be possible to convert the stock digital clock so that it read boost somehow?
Hmmm... now there is a project

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Re: Anybody done a simple LED numeric boost display for the 1.8T (Jetta_1.8Tip)

quote:[HR][/HR]This is even crazier but would it be possible to convert the stock digital clock so that it read boost somehow?
Hmmm... now there is a project
[HR][/HR]​

Any electronics genuises out there that think this would be possible? The digital clock should be a fairly simple display and not really related to the ECU or anything... So... If we took someone's boost gauge product that was set up for digital already and then just figured out how to wire it so that...
Uggghhh... I dunno, does anyone like this idea? Could it be done?
It sure would solve many issues about where to put boost guages...

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Re: Anybody done a simple LED numeric boost display for the 1.8T (tornadogtipa)

What about a Blitz DTT? Just a thought, I have one, it has a built in boost guage that I leave on the read out. Look closely, its mounted to the right of the hazard light switch.

Scott

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Re: Anybody done a simple LED numeric boost display for the 1.8T (skizzott30)

That would prob be great if my dash wasn't already all full... ESP, Heated Seats, etc...
Does anyone else want to take a guess at whether the "clock mod" would be possible?

·
Banned
1,545 Posts
Re: Anybody done a simple LED numeric boost display for the 1.8T (tornadogtipa)

That stuff is a lot less complicated than computer engineering. You need a transducer ($11), a display, a volt-to-display convertor chip (I know they have them, I've seen it), and signal conditioning for your voltmeter.
You could try out www.summitracing.com ($50 + $70 for the sender, and no free Vaseline!
)
http://www.nordskogperformance.com/m9018.html

Somewhere on the net you'll find a writeup from someone who took apart his Cyberdyne digital boost gauge (they don't make that brand any longer) and installed the display in the dash of his Talon. See if you can find that too!

[Modified by je., 6:56 PM 10-27-2002]

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Re: Anybody done a simple LED numeric boost display for the 1.8T (Ferris Buehler)

**Clock Mod**
Anyone really want to commit to whether it's possible or not?
Maybe it's just me but it seems to be a great idea, if someone just knew how to do it.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Re: Anybody done a simple LED numeric boost display for the 1.8T (4:20)

I was planning on doing something digital with a HUD a while ago after I sold the steering coulmn pod. But came to the conclusion that it was much to time consuming. I had all the parts lined up and all the proper write-ups. If your interested head over to audiworld they have done a dozen of these. But be ready for a lot of long hours and money spent o get something to work.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.