VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a fiero that could use some sprucing up
If all goes according to plan she'll have a caddy northstar motor in her within a year or so, but for now I wouldn't mind making it look non-hideous.
Obviously Maaco does a terrible job and I'm not expecting much, but I've heard people say that some maaco's will put in more effort than others and your paint will actually last until the next rainy day. If anyone has gotten a maaco paintjob in mass. and was pleasantly surpised let me know, I'll go wherever you went

Also, with cheap paintjobs like this, do they spray enough paint that you can drastically change your color or will the basecolor show through? Obviously the engine compartment, doorjambs, etc will be the old color, but if I went' from oxidized black to a dull silvery gray would that be too big of a change?
Thanks everybody
-Sam

·
Registered
11,046 Posts
Re: Anybody got decent results from a Maaco within 50 miles of Boston? (Mossman)

macco isn't 100% dogsht. nashua is alright. they primer it first so your base color wont show through.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Re: Anybody got decent results from a Maaco within 50 miles of Boston? (Mossman)

If you do your own prep work, you will be much happier from the results of a Macco job http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,512 Posts
Re: Anybody got decent results from a Maaco within 50 miles of Boston? (Black_G60)

Quote, originally posted by Black_G60 »
If you do your own prep work, you will be much happier from the results of a Macco job http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Agreed, Maaco can spray OK, its the prep and masking that suck. You may want to toss some crap wheels and tires on it, and tape up your exahust, I have seen plenty of cars leave Maaco with color matched tires, rims, and exahust. Talk to them, most of them can work something out for ya.

·
Registered
36 Posts
like everyone else said, prep it yourself. In my honest opinion spend the extra $ and go to a bodyshop, get the job done right the first time.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Re: (attam)

Man, do the maaco job, if its not your first ride...
here's the day it came out of Maaco..

and here's a few months later at Treffen

Looks very good to this day. I got the upgraded package and out the door price was 412$. I did the body work, sanded and taped the car off. Paint has shine/chip/fade warranty for 3 years too.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Re: (Maxt2)

geoff post a pic of your paint job. Bob oplas buddy is a painter for maaco and is dam good. most the people know what they are doing there but they just do it fast as possible so the prep sucks.

·
Registered
2006 P+ A4 3.2 Avant, 2011 C'Dale Bad Boy, 2014 C'Dale Carbon Synapse, 2019 P+ Q5
41,531 Posts
Re: (germantoydeux)

geoffs car is a looker

·
Registered
418 Posts
Re: (CorradoG60)

I had my first chevelle painted there..after getting it back from the bady man 1,600 dollars later a 800 dollar paint job from macco was really my only choice....local shops get huge money to paint cars....oh and it was at the macco in brockton...and also do not have them do the body work you will regret it.... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,046 Posts
Re: (spulindub)

mine was a disaster. we did 2 cars. took like 10 hours. were drinking for 10 of those hours. considering that it came out good. he works at amherst st auto body now.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
matx2 that looks great.
Well I've got a GTI. It could use some paint work but not a respray and I wouldn't let maaco touch it. It's just got a bunch of paint chips on the hood, bumper, etc, anything forward facing. It doesnt bother me much anymore but if I come across some extra dough someday maybe I'll take it somewhere reputable and get it done.
The fiero on the other hand....is a 400 dollar junker. I might be tossing a caddy v8 in there (not sure if I'd be able to do it myself...I'd probably try, fail, and pay someone to finish for me), and if I was gonna do that I might as well invest a few hours in prep work and a few hundred bucks making it look like it hasnt sat in a junk yard in texas being beat down on by the southern sun for 12 years. It's 1 faded and oxidized monster.
Anyways, thanks for the info guys, I'll definately read some guides for prep work, and tape everything off before hand. Fieros are little, there's not much to screw up but I'd be concerned about the scoops and such. Eh, i'll ask about that stuff on a fiero forum.
Thanks again guys

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Re: (Maxt2)

Quote, originally posted by Maxt2 »
Man, do the maaco job, if its not your first ride...
here's the day it came out of Maaco..

and here's a few months later at Treffen

Looks very good to this day. I got the upgraded package and out the door price was 412$. I did the body work, sanded and taped the car off. Paint has shine/chip/fade warranty for 3 years too.

wow...

·
Banned
11,719 Posts
Re: (vwk2)

I've seen some Macco disaters. One lady had her washer nossels painted over(they wouldn't spray anymore) My car got scratched on a tow and AAA wanted me to have it fixed at Macco. I was like your guy fudged it, now your gonna pay up.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Re: Anybody got decent results from a Maaco within 50 miles of Boston? (BenMSki)

What is involved in prepping that Macco sucks so bad at? My audi could use some paint pretty bad, you would think my hood is actually white from the rock chips...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts