VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the notorious dent in my hood due to a broken motermount. Im having a hard time deciding weather to get it fixed or buy a CF hood. I like the idea of losing some weight but I dont like the CF look on a silver car. If I got one I would definatly paint it. Anyone here feel the same way, and is there anything special you need to know before painting the hood.
Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
Re: Anybody here paint their carbon fiber hood? (silverG60)

Usually you can request the hood not to be clear/gel coated so you can paint it. Keep in mind that after you paint it, you will still be able to see the carbon weave through the paint (just like the Ferrari F50) if you're really picky on the paint finish, you'd be better off getting another stock hood.
BTW, i agree with you, I only like exposed carbon on really dark cars

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Re: Anybody here paint their carbon fiber hood? (cramer)

Quote, originally posted by cramer »
you will still be able to see the carbon weave through the paint (just like the Ferrari F50)

Got a picture? All the F50's I've seen I didn't notice the carbon fiber peeking through.
edit:

Modified by SLCorrado at 12:54 PM 5-9-2003

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
Re: Anybody here paint their carbon fiber hood? (SLCorrado)

nope, you got to get up close and personal to a F50, it looks like textured paint matching the weave of the CF... I like it because it hints what's under paint, but for the paint finish freeks, it's not a smooth finish that wins concours.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Re: Anybody here paint their carbon fiber hood? (BLUESTEEL)

i painted my entire car with nail polish once.
edit: i had to make another trip to the grocery store cause I ran out of cotton balls.

Modified by SLCorrado at 1:13 PM 5-9-2003

·
Registered
4,392 Posts

Quote, originally posted by SLCorrado »
i painted my entire car with nail polish once.
edit: i had to make another trip to the grocery store cause I ran out of cotton balls.

Modified by SLCorrado at 1:13 PM 5-9-2003

wow

·
Registered
580 Posts
Re: Anybody here paint their carbon fiber hood? (silverG60)

Quote, originally posted by silverG60 »
I like the idea of losing some weight but I dont like the CF look on a silver car.

Dont love the CF look but, out of all the possible car colors i think silver looks the best

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
Re: Anybody here paint their carbon fiber hood? (cramer)

Quote, originally posted by cramer »
nope, you got to get up close and personal to a F50, it looks like textured paint matching the weave of the CF... I like it because it hints what's under paint, but for the paint finish freeks, it's not a smooth finish that wins concours.

So you can see the weave through the paint when ure up close and personal, but when you run ure hand over it, is it sooove?

·
Registered
444 Posts

SLCorrado said:
Got a picture? All the F50's I've seen I didn't notice the carbon fiber peeking through.QUOTE]
Actually, this isn't a picture, but in the "Top Gear" video of when they test the Ferrari Enzo, they show a close-up or how you could see the CF through the paint. You can probably find the video in the car lounge archives or on Kazaa. Sick car BTW.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Re: Anybody here paint their carbon fiber hood? (Radorider)

<~~ will be first person in the world with oichan hood in SILVER fiber... i COULD get u silver fiber to make a regular rado hood...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.