VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to build a turbo VR motor,and was going to use stock rod bolts,since 50cent and GTR are having such good luck with stock bottom ends,but the motors owner purchased ARP rod bolts,so I will be installing them.Has anybody had any issues/comments/failures??Thanx.................

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Re: Anybody here use ARP ROD bolts? (Holy Piston)

ask them to clarify weather or not they are re-torquing the rod bolts IE: installing new rod bearings , or just tossing in the whole bottom end "as-is"

·
Registered
7,080 Posts

I was debating whether or not to use stock or ARP rod bolts. Given that the rod bolts only hold the load from RPM, I saw no reason to go with upgraded bolts with the turbo. I'd check with ARP for the proper torque specs, since the factory specs aren't valid for those bolts.

·
Registered
642 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Holy Piston »
I'm about to build a turbo VR motor,and was going to use stock rod bolts,since 50cent and GTR are having such good luck with stock bottom ends,but the motors owner purchased ARP rod bolts,so I will be installing them.Has anybody had any issues/comments/failures??Thanx.................

All of our motors come with ARPs. Cheap insurance. With stock bolts it takes two sets to build a motor so the ARPs really make sense. I wouldn't say they are absolutely needed and as Marty said they really only help in tension so retrofitting them isn't really needed. Not to mention you have resize the rods. You can't just install them.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Re: Anybody here use ARP ROD bolts? (joshuajmurray)

Quote, originally posted by joshuajmurray »

All of our motors come with ARPs. Cheap insurance. With stock bolts it takes two sets to build a motor so the ARPs really make sense. I wouldn't say they are absolutely needed and as Marty said they really only help in tension so retrofitting them isn't really needed. Not to mention you have resize the rods. You can't just install them.

Woah! What do you meant you have to resize the rods?! Explain this to me please!

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Re: Anybody here use ARP ROD bolts? (WMTJ)

When you install aftermarket rod bolts such as ARPs, the big ends of the rods need to be resized to "true" them after installing the rod bolts. Pretty common procedure and any machine shop should know what you are talking about when/if you decide to run them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts