VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i found a pic browsing through freshalloy.com surprisingly enough. i find this to be odd:

what is the point of having everything but the speedometer as an analog gauge? i think this is not as effective of a setup.

·
Registered
8,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: anybody take a look at the RX-8 gauge cluster? (dmc)

but porsche doesnt use a digital speedo...

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
Re: anybody take a look at the RX-8 gauge cluster? (maskedSONY)

quote:[HR][/HR]but porsche doesnt use a digital speedo...[HR][/HR]​
Yes they do. The 9x6 cars have an analog speedo, but it's gradients are so big that they need to add a digital speedo for precision.
The really odd thing about that cluster is the 7500rpm redline. This is so lame for a rotary it's not even funny. The RENESIS produces peak power at 8500rpm, and the rumors are of a 10,000rpm redline, so some tweaking is still needed to the dash.

[Modified by Rob, 9:23 PM 11-29-2001]

·
Registered
525 Posts
Re: anybody take a look at the RX-8 gauge cluster? (maskedSONY)

I like the layout alot. I don't like the fact that it looks like the dashboard will be the same color as the body. Too ricey for me.

·
Registered
8,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: anybody take a look at the RX-8 gauge cluster? (Rob)

quote:[HR][/HR]
The really odd thing about that cluster is the 7500rpm redline. This is so lame for a rotary it's not even funny. The RENESIS produces peak power at 8500rpm, and the rumors are of a 10,000rpm redline, so some tweaking is still needed to the dash.

[HR][/HR]​
i was also going to ask about that. Mazda designed the engine to go up to speed of 10K RPMs, so im wondering where that is in the production model? i guess they had to water it down for emissions and regulations and stuff.
well, at least the redline isnt at 7000, or this would be another case of what was seen with the current SE-R.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Re: anybody take a look at the RX-8 gauge cluster? (some9one)

i like it....but how do you steer the thing

·
Registered
809 Posts
Re: anybody take a look at the RX-8 gauge cluster? (Rob)

quote:[HR][/HR]The really odd thing about that cluster is the 7500rpm redline. This is so lame for a rotary it's not even funny. The RENESIS produces peak power at 8500rpm, and the rumors are of a 10,000rpm redline, so some tweaking is still needed to the dash.][HR][/HR]​

In a rotary engine, the rotor rotates around the crankshaft 3 times for every single rotation the crankshaft makes. So, when a rotary engine is operating at 7,000 rpm, the rotor itself is actually doing 21,000 rpm

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Re: anybody take a look at the RX-8 gauge cluster? (garbage)

quote:[HR][/HR]In a rotary engine, the rotor rotates around the crankshaft 3 times for every single rotation the crankshaft makes. So, when a rotary engine is operating at 7,000 rpm, the rotor itself is actually doing 21,000 rpm
.[HR][/HR]​
...and that's precisely why they have an overheating problem http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
maybe they should look into a new way of cooling rotaries?

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Re: anybody take a look at the RX-8 gauge cluster? (some9one)

quote:[HR][/HR]mazda specially said they want the gauges to resemble the ones on a motorcycle, hence the digital speedo and cramped-together style.[HR][/HR]​
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
wouldn't it be awesome if mazda made a rotary engined motorcycle???
WHOA!!

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Re: anybody take a look at the RX-8 gauge cluster? (BananaCo)

quote:[HR][/HR]real race cars doesnm't have speedos. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
That digital speedometer looks small enough to cover with a piece of black electrical tape for when you want "real race car" feel.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts