VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
25,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tried the tranny forum no help there
. anybody put a newer 5sp in a rabbit w/o swaping the axles and everything else? just need to get the cv joints off a tranny, but i have no clue how
. thanks for the help!

·
Registered
14,826 Posts
Re: (darthegg)

I think he means the flanges check it out in the bently IIRC its a clip holding them and they are pressed on.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Re: Anybody take cv joints off a tranny? (VWralley)

what up, you figure it out yet?im in florida right now found a computer at my hotel, how are things back home? done anything fun? im bout to buy a skimboard
i got hella f
cking drunk last night and im stil a little hung over, we just chilled in the hot tub and drank up everthing in sight with a coulpe of scottish lads. do you know if my head came yet? tell nick and all the homies i say what up
ill be back sometime in the afternoon on the third. ill find out for sure though tommorow. see you in a couple days

·
Banned
25,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Anybody take cv joints off a tranny? (Eldorado56)

Thanks for the suggestion, thats what i thought. nothing in the bently, was looking for someone who'd done it before. looking for a way to compress the spring and release the clip w/o killing myself in the process. any other help is well recieved!!

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Re: Anybody take cv joints off a tranny? (VWralley)

so you're looking to remove the axle flanges from the tranny yes?
If so, I just did this very procedure this afternoon...upgrading to the 100mm axles/flanges (actually I'm just cheap, my existing axles have outer cv boots that are ready to rip open any day now, and I just happen to have a set of 100mm axles with good boots and a dusted 2Y tranny kicking around
).
For the flanges, I grabbed a hammer and flat-blade screw driver and removed the "dust covers" in the centre of the flanges to expose the circlip. Then I used my flat blade screw driver to pop the circlip out and pop out came the axle flange, very easy to fuss no muss, just some mess from the gear oil that spilled out...FYI drain the tranny before you remove the flanges.
I was told I'd have to use a puller, but they just popped right out...and not with much velocity either (no broken glasses today
) this was true for both the 2Y which I removed the flanges from a loose tranny, as well as the ACD that was in my rabbit.
HTH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts