VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a hell of a time trying to find brake shoes that actually work. the cHINA crap I've got from rockauto does not work. this is 2 times now, and both sets of shoes, one branded Bendix, the other Bosch, have the wrong profile on the parking brake arm. the bend starts too soon and the cross bracket will not slot in.

·
Registered
Serial car rescuer, repeat offender
838 Posts
I think the correct ones I found last fall were Wagners. The Centic I bought first also had the wrong brake arm.

·
Registered
838 Posts
And knowing what I know now, I'd probably only buy them locally so that I could check them prior to purchase.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Wow... What a timely post :) I was literally just about to make a post with some clarifications on brake shoes. I just came in 5 minutes ago from finishing the job. Here goes:

Yes, the ones you show are bad, bad, bad. I made the same mistake as you: bought a pair of Duralast from AutoZone, no go. Then I figured "Bosch is a good brand, right? They should be the right ones." So I bought a pair of Bosch shoes from RockAuto. The picture even made it look like they were the right ones. Wrong! Same shape as the ones you show. Finally, I saw a post from @76oh2 at the right time, who had a pair of Febi shoes and just happened to have a picture where I could see the metal part was correct. Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

Look at the picture below to see the difference between the correct shoes, and the wrong shoes, which most places claim is correct.

Now, perhaps somebody more experienced than me could get the other ones to work, but they did not work well for me. I installed them put back the drum, etc. And the parking brake cable stuck, bad. I haven't bled my brake lines yet, so I don't know how that part of it would fare. But overall, they are just not good. Here is a picture of the correct ones installed. Everything seats better and no sticking of the brake cable.

These are the shoes you want. I purchased them from Autohausaz. Part number is 07014. Yes, it says Audi, but they are correct, and they work. @76oh2 can confirm, I'm sure.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Now, perhaps somebody more experienced than me could get the other ones to work...
Oh, it's not hard to make them work. Just drill/cut the pivot pins and swap your old (correct) arms onto the new shoes. But there's no way that we should have to do this, it's silly that the shoe manufacturers haven't fixed this.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Zeande - where did you get your wheel cylinders? What brand?
Can't remember what brand, and I don't think I still have the boxes. But they were from Black Forest Industries.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exactly my scenario. 2nd time around I ordered the Bosch from RA because the picture looked right. When they showed up today I was defeated. felt like smashing them with a sledgehammer but didn't have the energy..

thanks for the lead on shoes that actually work. unfortunately I already ordered a 3rd set from Amaz, Raybestos brand. those looked right in the picture too, we'll see. If not, I'll get the Febi from AZ.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Let us know if your 3rd set works out! Always good to have multiple sources for a good part.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
These are the shoes you want. I purchased them from Autohausaz. Part number is 07014. Yes, it says Audi, but they are correct, and they work.
Cool, glad you found the Febi's

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
The factory number is 811 698 525AX. I used some cheap house brand Worldpac WBR shoes. That number was K5858L. I normally do not use house brand parts but there really was no choice for me. Plus, I plan on disc brakes in the future.

That number also works for the older Audi's too.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
reporting back, the Raybestos shoes arrived today, the brake lever arm looks thicker than the old one, but it has the right profile. i tried the cross bracket piece and it slots in. So these should work and be another option for us.

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
If those shoes ever go nla, another option is to grab the drum setup, from any 2.0 A3 chassis car. They were also 200mm, but the setup is slightly different, but interchangeable.

I grabbed a complete set from the JY, pretty cheaply.

-Todd

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
got the truck back together with the Raybestos shoes. didn't go easy, but drum brakes never do. i didn't hurt myself so I'll call it a win, even if did take a lot longer than planned, fiddling around with those springs and such.
one annoying thing is the hooks on the bottom springs were too long, had to be dressed down on the bench grinder before they would fit in the brakes shoe holes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts