VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'09 135i, '22 CX5 Turbo
15,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to swap the interior dash vents from a jetta into my gti but I have never seen the modification done before. Does anyone have experience with this? Are there any tricky bits? Any information I should be aware of?
Why are there different ducting vents for our cars???? The jetta ones are just way cooler... another one of vw's annoying little quirks.

Jetta Vents

GTI vents (hard too see the difference, but it's large)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Re: Anyone done or know the tricks of swapping jetta vents for golf vents? (Preppy)

Yes... I did it... I like the Jetta's dash vent and i already install it. They looks cool!
They cost my around 170 $.
I will try to find out the parts number (If you want).
And i connect the wires for the left and center dash vent (You can ignore the wires) but i didn't connect the right dash vent wires because i don't know from where should i take the waire (The wires just to make the lighs works).
If you need help to install it, tell me. It's easier to start with the right one. There is scrows in the center and the left one but there is no thing in the right one...

·
Registered
'09 135i, '22 CX5 Turbo
15,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Anyone done or know the tricks of swapping jetta vents for golf vents? (berettaboi)

quote:[HR][/HR]Uhhh, other then the way they adjust, what's different?
~D.J.~[HR][/HR]​
The whole vent assembly is different. But yea, the principle difference lies primarily in the adjustment style. The jetta vents are like the passat vents. The louvres close flat and the "up-down" adjustment doesn't move the entire vent, just internal vanes. They are just much more fitting of the overall near-luxo style of the interior.

·
Registered
16,120 Posts
Re: Anyone done or know the tricks of swapping jetta vents for golf vents? (Preppy)

i'm going to help a friend do this eventually, i'd love to get part numbers...
i'll even make a howto when it's done.

·
Registered
22,292 Posts
Re: Anyone done or know the tricks of swapping jetta vents for golf vents? (John A)

I did it to my car its very simple and if you can find the parts at a junk yard it will be cheaper (cost me 50 bucks)
How To:
1) unscrew the stock vents
--Drivers side has screw behind the headlight switch and the vent
--center has two screws at both upper corners of the vents
--passenger side has on screw in upper corner
2) take out vents -- they just pop out now, use a flat head screw driver to help
3) splice from some wire to light the jetta vents -- I spliced off the dimmer switch and ran wire from there to each vent location
4) connect each vents wires to the wire from dimmer switch
5) push each jetta vent in (they are friction fitted to the dash no screws)
6) your none
Stu

·
Registered
6,706 Posts

My Classifieds thread (I want some parts, though looks like it's the junkyard or dealer for me because I can't get a response) is http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=129305 ...
Copied for convenience are the part numbers:
1J0 819 728 D Color Code 2AQ Center Vent Housing
1J0 819 197 A Center Vent Frame
1J1 819 703 D Color Code 2AQ Driver Side Housing
1J1 819 704 D Color Code 2AQ Passenger Side Housing
I shot these pictures of my dash for another thread on this topic -- someone with a Jetta wanted to know what Golf vents look like.

[Modified by Buran, 1:02 PM 12-3-2001]

·
Registered
22,292 Posts
Re: Anyone done or know the tricks of swapping jetta vents for golf vents? (GTi 1.8Turbo)

I ran a wire from the center vents behind the glove box to the passenger side
best way to do it---actually only way as there is nothing over there to splice from for power
Stu

·
Registered
22,292 Posts
Re: Anyone done or know the tricks of swapping jetta vents for golf vents? (GTi 1.8Turbo)

I ran a wire from the center vents behind the glove box to the passenger side
best way to do it---actually only way as there is nothing over there to splice from for power
Stu

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.