VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my R32 has around 700 miles, I decided to further test its abilities on the open road. I find that if I launch hard and shift in the upper rpm range, I hear a loud thump coming from the back. Is this a result of the 4motion briefly kicking in?
Just curious if anyone else is experiencing the "thump".

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: anyone else experience this when shifting hard? (euro sport)

Happens to WRX drivers a lot, especially if the shifts aren't executed perfectly - in our case it's the Diff popping a little. It's nothing bad, but nothing good either.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Re: anyone else experience this when shifting hard? (Emikandi)

How do you know that you are shifting properly? Lets say you are in 5th and want to drop down to 3rd? do you rev the engine then go into gear. get the RPM's up and go? just curious. Thanks

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Re: anyone else experience this when shifting hard? (Cackleberry)

Thanks cackleberry. That is what I thought. Just thought i would throw it out there anyway.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Re: anyone else experience this when shifting hard? (andru1313)

Mine makes a "thump" but that's just the damn engine/driveline shock when I slam gears and it come from the front. Handles it really well though - The 02M ROCKS.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Re: anyone else experience this when shifting hard? (andru1313)

Reving the engine and upshifting is actually part of the process of "double clutching" or "skip shifting" The popping is lessened if your use your clutch at the correct intervals throughout the shifting process.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am a little confused with this idea. If one is shifting hard, regardless of RPM (although higer RPM does force more HP on the clutch plate), what is the bump? It couldn't be from engaging the clutch at the wrong time (unless past redline), could it? I mean, a car is able to shift at any point through the RPMs. Roll-offs and trailers have big enough gears to find the "right" interval at which they can shift (without even using the clutch pedal), however, I am assuming everyone is stepping on the clutch pedal first which should completely prevent any kind of grinding or clutch slippage.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts

Around 3-3500RPM I can hear the exhaust not really change and its very noticeable. Is this normal? I am thinking it is the vacuum line in the exhaust.
Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts

It's just the Haldex unit in the rear engaing the rear wheels. None of you guys ever drove 225hp TT? They can do it to, my friend's chipped 225TT does it pretty hard.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: anyone else experience this when shifting hard? (pumpkin02)

This is my first vehicle with all-wheel-drive capabilities.

·
Registered
606 Posts

The 4Motion system on the R32 is actually always engaged, so there shouldn't be a loud noise of the car engaging the rear wheels. I have accelerated pretty hard in my R32 a couple of times and haven't experienced that noise at all.
-James O'Connor

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: anyone else experience this when shifting hard? (SkankyBeans)

You sure it isnt the exhaust rumble when you lift off the gas to shift gear?

·
Registered
18,555 Posts
Re: anyone else experience this when shifting hard? (SkankyBeans)

Quote, originally posted by SkankyBeans »
The 4Motion system on the R32 is actually always engaged,

That is incorrect. The whole reason Haldex was chosen over other AWD systems is because
it only engages when needed (which it does very quickly) and is otherwise a front wheel drive
biased system with lower drivetrain loss and thus higher fuel economy.
If he's hearing this only when shifting hard from 1st to 2nd (where you'd normally get some
wheelspin in a 240hp FWD car), then yes it could be Haldex clutch engaging and a tiny bit
of rear drivetrain lash.

ian

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Re: anyone else experience this when shifting hard? (Daemon42)

Quote, originally posted by Daemon42 »

yes it could be Haldex clutch engaging and a tiny bit
of rear drivetrain lash.

Bingo!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
The Haldex system is a set of wet clutches. They can bang when they engage just like a FWD car when shifting hard 1st to 2nd. I have a VR6 PP and disc in my GTI, and when I go hard into 2nd, it hits pretty good.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Re: (plf)

Quote, originally posted by plf »
I am a little confused with this idea. If one is shifting hard, regardless of RPM (although higer RPM does force more HP on the clutch plate), what is the bump? It couldn't be from engaging the clutch at the wrong time (unless past redline), could it? I mean, a car is able to shift at any point through the RPMs. Roll-offs and trailers have big enough gears to find the "right" interval at which they can shift (without even using the clutch pedal), however, I am assuming everyone is stepping on the clutch pedal first which should completely prevent any kind of grinding or clutch slippage.

there is a difference between shifting hard and shifiting fast & smooth

·
Registered
18,555 Posts
Re: (ced)

Quote, originally posted by ced »

there is a difference between shifting hard and shifiting fast & smooth

I don't think there's any mystery to what he meant by shifting hard.
We're talking a shift that in a FWD car would break the front tires
loose on a 1->2 shift.. and sometimes even get a chirp out of 2->3.
We've all done it, and sometimes it's even the fastest way down the track
or light to light, or whatever (about 10-15% wheelspin is better than none for
max accelleration on dry pavement, depending on tires). With the uber short
gearing the R32 has, and its fat torque curve if it were FWD-only, it'd
spin the tires most of the way through first, then spin them again on a hard 1->2 shift.
That explains why Haldex might be activating along the way.
ian

·
Registered
750 Posts
Re: (Daemon42)

I don't think there's any mystery to what he meant by shifting hard.
We're talking a shift that in a FWD car would break the front tires
loose on a 1->2 shift.. and sometimes even get a chirp out of 2->3.
We've all done it, and sometimes it's even the fastest way down the track
or light to light, or whatever (about 10-15% wheelspin is better than none for
max accelleration on dry pavement, depending on tires). With the uber short
gearing the R32 has, and its fat torque curve if it were FWD-only, it'd
spin the tires most of the way through first, then spin them again on a hard 1->2 shift.
That explains why Haldex might be activating along the way.
ian

Thats my point exactly. It is not a FWD car, hence your driving style has to adapt or suffer the consequences of premature powertrain wear. Nothing against the person posting but I know a few people that go thru clutches and trannies just because of their bad driving habits.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Re: anyone else experience this when shifting hard? (Daemon42)

That is incorrect. The whole reason Haldex was chosen over other AWD systems is because
it only engages when needed (which it does very quickly) and is otherwise a front wheel drive
biased system with lower drivetrain loss and thus higher fuel economy.
If he's hearing this only when shifting hard from 1st to 2nd (where you'd normally get some
wheelspin in a 240hp FWD car), then yes it could be Haldex clutch engaging and a tiny bit
of rear drivetrain lash.

ian

I stand corrected. Thank you Ian.
-James O'Connor

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Re: anyone else experience this when shifting hard? (vw_chris)

Quote, originally posted by vw_chris »
Reving the engine and upshifting is actually part of the process of "double clutching" or "skip shifting" The popping is lessened if your use your clutch at the correct intervals throughout the shifting process.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts