VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my car out of the service from my gears not going into place. At first when i put it in drive the car would not go and then it'll jerk really hard when it does go into gear. They reprogrammed the COU and i got it out this afternoon. While driving back to work I felt the slight jerks when i slowed down to 2nd or 1st gear. Does this happen to anyone else? I'm going to bring the car back for round 2 this afternoon.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Re: Anyone else getting slight jerking when in 2nd or 1st gear? (sanchacco)

Is it just going from 2 to 1? Or do you feel it in other gears as well? For manual transmissions, the 2 to 1 shift is the hardest to do in motion. And sometimes one skips that shift altogether until the car is stopped. Are you gradually slowing down (slowing down slowly), and is it the same if you slow down quickly (moderate-to-hard braking)? Assuming you've got DSG.

·
Registered
33 Posts

i have had and continue to have the same problem. i contacted audi north scottsdale service dept. and they sent me a copy of an audi tb dated 03/15/06, which states that no repairs are required. it says that "this is a vehicle function that will not allow the dsg to engage unless the driver has the brake pedal depressed." the brake pedal must remain depressed when selecting the desired gear from the park position. if this procedure is not followed, they say the gear selector indicator in the instrument cluster will flash. i have never seen any flashing on mine. further more, i get the jerking when pulling forward slowly into the garage. i also get engine reving (no apparent gear engagement) in both reverse and drive, off and on, even though i have my foot on the brake during gear changes. this even happens when i'm sitting in drive waiting to pull out into traffic.

·
Registered
272 Posts

If it's AWD (Haldex) the bias shifts back to FWD as the vehicle slows coming down to 2nd, then 1st. So when starting it's FWD then changes to AWD, but you can feel that rear clutch engaging.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Anyone else getting slight jerking when in 2nd or 1st gear? (KnockKnock)

I do have DSG. I've had the car for 3 months and put about 7000 miles on it but I did not feel anything like this before. I get the jerking when it's on 2nd going into 1st gear. It is when i'm slowing down to make a stop or turn. If i gas it i do not feel it. I think the jerking it a bit much to make you feel your foot slipped off the gas pedal something.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

my car is still in the shop. it turns out they're waiting on a control module part that's backordered all over. 16 other people are waiting for the same part. so the jerking in 2nd to 1st gear isn't normal.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts

See my post in this thread with links to other threads that may refer to the same part: DSG Failures

·
Registered
139 Posts

Only if I'm rough when letting the clutch out.

Oh, wait... you meant those with DSG.

·
Registered
162 Posts

Quote, originally posted by sanchacco »
I do have DSG. I've had the car for 3 months and put about 7000 miles on it but I did not feel anything like this before. I get the jerking when it's on 2nd going into 1st gear. It is when i'm slowing down to make a stop or turn. If i gas it i do not feel it. I think the jerking it a bit much to make you feel your foot slipped off the gas pedal something.

I sent you a PM, please reply, thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts

my car is still in the shop. it turns out they're waiting on a control module part that's backordered all over. 16 other people are waiting for the same part. so the jerking in 2nd to 1st gear isn't normal.

How long have you been in the shop?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Re: Anyone else getting slight jerking when in 2nd or 1st gear? (jedman1040)

For the most part I've always disregarded the DSG failure threads since my car has been running perfecty. However, yesterday, pulling out from a side street on to a large boulevard with cars traveling 50-60mph, I was shocked when the car lurched in 1st gear. Like it missed 2nd...It felt like a mis shift in a MT. Kind of shocked me, and it only did it once, but it sure has me thinking now...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Re: Anyone else getting slight jerking when in 2nd or 1st gear? (Tarik D)

Quote, originally posted by Tarik D »
For the most part I've always disregarded the DSG failure threads since my car has been running perfecty. However, yesterday, pulling out from a side street on to a large boulevard with cars traveling 50-60mph, I was shocked when the car lurched in 1st gear. Like it missed 2nd...It felt like a mis shift in a MT. Kind of shocked me, and it only did it once, but it sure has me thinking now...

Honest, I think it we have only seen the tip of the iceberg in terms of this problem, I predict there will be A LOT more failures, just my opinion, but I have done a lot of homework on the subject.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I live in Houston. car still in the shop and they have no idea when they will get the part. they said U.S. & germany doesn't have it. i have no idea how long this will take. Like i mentioned before the service guy said 16 other people all around are waiting for the same part. I asked if he thought that was a common problem and he said no because there's only 16 people, but they dont sell that many A3's so 16 seems a lot to me.

I just talked to the service guy again and expressed how worried i was that the problem doesn't seem like it'll be fixed. he just assured me that the regional manager, the warehouse, and germany have all been notified and are aware of the problem as well. at least i'm not alone right?

Modified by sanchacco at 2:23 PM 7-13-2006

·
Registered
162 Posts

I live in Houston. car still in the shop and they have no idea when they will get the part. they said U.S. & germany doesn't have it. i have no idea how long this will take. Like i mentioned before the service guy said 16 other people all around are waiting for the same part. I asked if he thought that was a common problem and he said no because there's only 16 people, but they dont sell that many A3's so 16 seems a lot to me.

I just talked to the service guy again and expressed how worried i was that the problem doesn't seem like it'll be fixed. he just assured me that the regional manager, the warehouse, and germany have all been notified and are aware of the problem as well. at least i'm not alone right?

Modified by sanchacco at 2:23 PM 7-13-2006

How long have you been in the shop? and how many times have you had the problem?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jedman1040 »

Honest, I think it we have only seen the tip of the iceberg in terms of this problem, I predict there will be A LOT more failures, just my opinion, but I have done a lot of homework on the subject.

I too have a bad feeling about this. This is incredible technology, but maybe it isn't ready for prime time. I think I'd freak if my car was at the dealership with no hope for a fix in the horizon...very dissapointing to read so many people are having problems.

PS - this homework you've done...can you share some of that research? Curious to know what you've found. Thnx.

Modified by Tarik D at 10:25 PM 7-13-2006

·
Registered
162 Posts
Re: Anyone else getting slight jerking when in 2nd or 1st gear? (Tarik D)

Well, my homework is not dsg specific, in fact the DSG itself is probably not flawed. I am blackbelt (six sigma) so I know a lot about operation/production/manufacturing and what I do know is that most likely it is a problem with production/assembly of the metatronic unit itself or some related sensors. This type of production/assembly problems if not detected right away (before it leaves the factory) is usually rather widespread and expensive to correct.
The number of people that are having symptoms is high relative to the number of cars sold and my opinion and I am guessing thatmany of not most of these cases will develope into failure eventually. Then there are people who are having no symptoms and still having failure problems. It is just my feeling, but i think we will continue to hear of more problem, not less.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

My car has been in the shop for a little more than a week. when i call service dept almost everyday they do not seem to know what else to do but wait. there is no part anywhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

slightly good news. they finally confirmed they will get the part in within 10 days. here's hoping that will fix the problem. my car has been in the shop for 2 weeks. i'm just cruising in the rental for now.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts

What did they give you?
i'm just cruising in the rental for now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts