VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or am I the first?

about 4 weeks ago, we had baby girl no 2 and what shocked me the most was how little space there was inside a Jeep GC once you add the infant car seat and a stroller in the back. this combined with wanting a lower monthly payment, and a couple of thuds and noises coming from the transmission when shifting from P to D or when under mild throttle, and I started looking at the smaller SUV segment.

I started looking at Rav4's, but for the options that my wife wanted, I would of had to get a limited, which was mid 30's and wasn't particular about the color choices and looks. I wanted to drive the CX5, but my wife was just sold on the CR-V.

then I see a 2017 CR-V passing my by, and I loved the looks. The EX AWD has most of everything we need and prefer. The only thing we miss not having is auto wipers and auto tailgate, but oh well we will live.

I traded the Jeep in, and I got for it as much as I paid for it last year + sales tax. They started out at 24K, but I got them up to 28.5K (currently its for sale on their website for 30.5K) The CRV was 29.2K OTD, with $1000 in extra Honda access and maintenance that they refused to remove. It was one of the last Molten lava pearls around our area, and my wife loved the color. it fits 3 girls perfectly. The Interior is Ivory, not our top choice but they didn't have any other colors available.

after a few weeks, its been great and no ragrets.

PROs: Fuel economy (24 mpg around town vs high 12's in the Jeep). Cloth seats, Honda I-sense (lane keep assist, radar cruise control, blind spot etc), great color, apple and android auto and the rear AC vents actually blow a good amount of air vs the Jeep, which my 4 year old would tell me shes too hot most of the time. most importantly, its got huge interior and trunk space.

CONs: There is cheap plastic in many places, and you can feel it. Also, the doors have this cheap sound to it when you close them. It also has half the HP compared to the Jeep (190 HP vs 360HP)

Driving impression: The 1.5T + CVT is a hilarious combination. I've been taking it easy with the car, but in normal mode, you step on the gas, the engine jumps to 2500 RPM and it stays there until you reach out desired speed. Once you put it in ECON mode, the engine jumps up to 1800 RPM and stays there until your desired speed. Its a gorgeous (i think) SUV thats a great fit for my wife and her very local lifestyle. It does well on the highway, but you won't find me passing any cars with it. She does not miss the power like I do. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
My mother-in-law just got one with the 1.5T and CVT. She seems pretty happy with it so far. I've only ridden in it once, very briefly and I can confirm the plastics in the interior, but that is about it. It definitely has more room than my mother's 2015 and I was able to fit in the back seat quite comfortably (I'm 6'5" and north of 300 lbs). My mother will be trading her '15 in for a new one at some point this year. It will be her third consecutive CRV.

·
Registered
Plain Vanilla - no kicks!
12,457 Posts
:thumbup: Excellent choice. Every time I pass a CR-V, it turns my head. The interiors are very well done on these too.

My only gripe, as with all of Honda's higher trims, is the touch screen infosystem. Laggy and not very intuitive.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
I wanted to drive the CX5, but my wife was just sold on the CR-V.
that's a damn shame. :beer:

Honestly, I'm happy if you like it. I did a closed course test drive of both 2017 models. I honestly think you should have at least test drove the CX-5. I wouldn't have given my wife a choice. :laugh::laugh:
That said, the CR-V is pretty comfy for long distances, probably more so than the CX-5.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's a damn shame. :beer:

Honestly, I'm happy if you like it. I did a closed course test drive of both 2017 models. I honestly think you should have at least test drove the CX-5. I wouldn't have given my wife a choice. :laugh::laugh:
That said, the CR-V is pretty comfy for long distances, probably more so than the CX-5.
so we had a CX5 as a rental two years ago and while my wife also liked it, she told me she remembers driving it and the CR-V still won her over.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
so we had a CX5 as a rental two years ago and while my wife also liked it, she told me she remembers driving it and the CR-V still won her over.
I can see my wife saying the same thing. The 1st gen CX-5 was more like a tall Mazda3; fun to drive for what it is, but a little too car-like for some. The new one is :eek: to drive.

·
Registered
Lifted Prius, Lifted G37
12,811 Posts
Looks nice. :thumbup:

We're sort of eyeing an AWD EX to replace our 2012 Tucson, but that might be while yet. I'm also still a bit gun-shy from my last Honda purchase (see worth_fixing's signature), but the CR-V is very appealing on paper. I'll be curious to see how it holds up. How's the road noise? How about highway MPG?

Bummer about the extra crap that the dealer wouldn't remove. That kind of thing really irritates me.

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
Great choice, its the best vehicle in its class for families in my opinion.
It is funny how much larger the inside is than a jeep when the outside is basically the same. :laugh:

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda
36,458 Posts
I have Honda hair and toenails and I still own a CX-5.

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
Great choice, its the best vehicle in its class for families in my opinion.
It is funny how much larger the inside is than a jeep when the outside is basically the same. :laugh:
It really is amazing what you can do with a FWD platform and no offroading pretensions. I am nonplussed by the CRV as usual but I can't argue with the space efficiency.

·
Registered
18,423 Posts
I was a loud advocate for the new CR-V. Still 60% one, I guess.

2 reasons I walked away from a 2017 CR-V Touring (LED headlights, baaaaaaaby!):

1. It is insanely noisy inside the cabin. Comparable to a Yaris.

2. The common CVT vibration issue is now popping up on these 2017s, despite people saying Honda fixed it in 2016 or the previous generation.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Nice pickup, it's amazing how large they have gotten over the years (along with everything else). Someone needs to fire the wheel designers over at Honda (sans Accord Sport/Touring) though ASAP.

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda
36,458 Posts
Someone needs to fire the wheel designers over at Honda (sans Accord Sport/Touring) though ASAP.
Maybe that's where I should move next?

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
I was a loud advocate for the new CR-V. Still 60% one, I guess.

2 reasons I walked away from a 2017 CR-V Touring (LED headlights, baaaaaaaby!):

1. It is insanely noisy inside the cabin. Comparable to a Yaris.

2. The common CVT vibration issue is now popping up on these 2017s, despite people saying Honda fixed it in 2016 or the previous generation.
Wut?

Equally encouraging is the effort to reduce interior noise levels; we measured 69 decibels at a steady 70-mph cruise, a 2-decibel decrease in ambient interior noise levels over a previously tested 2015 CR-V Touring AWD.
http://www.caranddriver.com/honda/cr-v

·
Registered
Forester GMT, Buell XB1200S
1,053 Posts
Test drove one, and the rear seat accommodations are huge. Don't worry, car seat manufactures will see it as a challenge! :laugh:

Power felt decent, and the CVT/engine worked well together. Quiet and composed ride.

Went with a Forester in the end, but don't think you can go wrong with the CR-V, definite improvement over prior years.

Congrats!

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
36,740 Posts
I really like the styling on these. We have friends with 3 last-gen CRV's in the family and I'm waiting for one of them to, inevitably, upgrade so I can get some seat time in a new Turbo.

I'm still CVT gun-shy though. 😬

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts