VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since my coilpacks where replaced at 6k with the previous version not the new ones. My idle stumbles. About every 30 seconds the car almost stalls. Then again maybe 20 seconds after that, then again. Then its ok for almost a 2 or 3 mins. Then repeats the cycle.
I have run FI cleaner. And done a TB alignment. Still happens. Could it be the coils they installed where already bad? The MAF went the same time the coils did.
Mods include APR 93,100, Eurosport 2.5 DP, Forge 007, Carbonio
I am lost and the car doesnt throw any codes. Cept for the cat not getting up to temp due to the DP. But that hasnt happened again since I cleared it.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Re: Anyone else have this problem with idle? (CruisVW)

I have my original coilpacks and that happens. With the stock chip it doesn't do it, or at least I don't remember it happening when I put it back in for dealer service. Otherwise, with my chip it does it all the time at idle. I believe that is where all of the "Mulitple misfires in Cylinders 1 and 2" codes I get when I hook up to the VAG. Not positive though. Most of my friends who are chipped have the same problem. Neuspeed, GIAC, even APR all have stuttering idles, so you're not alone.

·
Banned
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Anyone else have this problem with idle? (Hapa88)

quote:[HR][/HR]I have my original coilpacks and that happens. With the stock chip it doesn't do it, or at least I don't remember it happening when I put it back in for dealer service. Otherwise, with my chip it does it all the time at idle. I believe that is where all of the "Mulitple misfires in Cylinders 1 and 2" codes I get when I hook up to the VAG. Not positive though. Most of my friends who are chipped have the same problem. Neuspeed, GIAC, even APR all have stuttering idles, so you're not alone.[HR][/HR]​
My car did the BEFORE I was even chipped.

·
Registered
604 Posts

I owned a 96 GTI VR6 before my 1.8T and it did this also. I do agree with you though, my 1.8T has done this since I bought it. I just replaced the spark plugs and it ran like butter for about a day then went back. It seems like every time I clean my MAF it runs okay for a day or so. I think it is a problem with the programming from the factory. There is also a post about "dirty" throttle bodies, very informative. I wish I knew exactly what it was though b\c it's real irritating.

·
Banned
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Anyone else have this problem with idle? (jude)

quote:[HR][/HR]I owned a 96 GTI VR6 before my 1.8T and it did this also. I do agree with you though, my 1.8T has done this since I bought it. I just replaced the spark plugs and it ran like butter for about a day then went back. It seems like every time I clean my MAF it runs okay for a day or so. I think it is a problem with the programming from the factory. There is also a post about "dirty" throttle bodies, very informative. I wish I knew exactly what it was though b\c it's real irritating.
[HR][/HR]​
Jude, thanks I am going to give those both of those a try within the next week. I will look up the dirty TB's tomorrow.
And its def not the fan. It really hit low rpm's.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

there is a TSB whereby the dealer reprograms the ECU to fix a problem with cold idle. after the fix i now idle around 1100 when cold. i used to be around 850 when cold. BTW I do not have a chip.
I had my MAF changed, then my first coil went 12 miles later. When they fixed the coil they did the ECU fix at the same time.

[Modified by rbenjami, 8:07 AM 2-5-2003]

·
Registered
910 Posts
Re: Anyone else have this problem with idle? (rbenjami)

Check this out. Sounds like you have the same problem. Well, it's not really a problem. It's the engine adjusting by powering up the cooling fan.
The reason the reprogramming fixes this is only because the idle is higher and you don't notice the drop as much because there isn't as much pull of power from the altanator. The RPM set to 1100 isn't really a fix. The only fix would be to adjust the coolant fan sensor to have it come on at a different time, or to have the fan pull it's power from a different location.
Hope this helps.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=648942

·
Registered
3,240 Posts

There is already a huge thread on this. Get your idle bumped up to 810 and check for vacuum leaks. I have my own theory that it could be a faulty PCV valve as well.

·
Banned
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Anyone else have this problem with idle? (rawlmark)

Yea, its def not the fan kicking on, unless it kicks on and off like every 20 or 30 seconds for about 3 seconds at a time, I doubt it. Its just a POS VW.

·
Registered
604 Posts

When the fan kicks on the car is not supposed to almost stall. It's like the computer is stumbling or something. Besides, this has happened to my previous VW and nothing was found to be wrong. I did change my plugs to the autolites but they are the double platinum. I really wanted the copper but they did not have them in stock. I'll pick up some new copper ones and try that I think.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.