VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that some MK8 owners were having glitches with some of the electronics on their cars. But that a new software update should have fixed those problems. I picked up my MK8 on Jan 3rd ( in a previous post I wrote Sunday Jan 2rd. But that was a mistake). Ive had BMWs, Audis, a Infiniti, Jaguar XE, Fords, and a Honda. Thats not including the cars that I got wife after we got married which I drive on the weekends with her and the kids. Ive wanted a Golf since I was 18 or 19 and love this GTI Autobahn 6spd. Wish I got the R for the awd but I couldnt wait till May or June. Once I do some performance mods and swap the wheels out I can just imagine how it will handle.

Now for the for the annoying things that are happening. They arent major issues that would prevent me from buying the car. Although I may have had second thoughts had I knows that these cars had electric issues. Im sure they could be resolved and I would have still gotten it.

1) The keyless entry works every time I open the door. But when I try to lock the door by swiping the door handle, they almost never lock and I use the key fob.
2) The radio had no sound 3 times. It was on but no sound was coming out of the speakers. So I shut the car off and turned it back on. The sound came back after turning the back on.
3) I have climate set at 70 degrees and on auto. Sometimes when I get back into the car and turn it on it stays at 70 degrees. Other time it will be at 71, 72, or 73 degrees.
4) Today was the second time I put my cell on the wireless charger. It would charge for 2 or 3 seconds then stop charging. My phone was lighting up over and over. It kept doing that until I shut the car off and turned it back on. Then it was charging it. But the phone was very hot.
5) And the last issue that happened 4 times. While listening to the radio the infotainment system would light up ( I think there is a small mic icon in the upper right corner or something. I cant remember) and change to another screen as if I was doing a voice command.

Someone posted that VW had a new software update for the MK8 and posted the new software updates #s. I checked an my car has the new software update. But these glitches are still happening. I called my dealer and scheduled to bring my car in for service Jan 20th. They said they will do a diagnostic check to see what the issue is.

·
Registered
158 Posts
While I have not personally experienced the audio issue, I've seen several reports on it between here and a Facebook group. It would be interesting to know how people are using the inputs when it happens. I'm wondering if there is a particular input that is prone to triggering this, like Sirius XM or local radio. I pretty much use Android Auto exclusively for music and audio and wonder if it is less likely to happen in that use case versus others.

I had one incident where the car did not unlock when I put my hand in the door handle insert on the driver side and needed to do it on the passenger side instead. I have not experienced it since. I'm not sure what you mean by a swiping motion, do you mean placing your hand in the insert?

I've never seen the temp change in between starts. It could be you are accidentally hitting the sliders at some point? I don't have a wireless charging phone, but I have heard about issues with the iPhone getting cooked.

I've not seen the issue with infotainment system lighting up. It sounds to me like something said on the radio triggered the car to think that the voice activation keywords were spoken. I would disable automatic voice activation of the voice commands in the Infotainment. It's totally unnecessary since you can just press once on the steering wheel to get it, and it ends up with annoying instances like this. I keep mine off.

Sorry to hear about these frustrations, the Autobahn 6spd really is a fun ride and it's disappointing when these kind of things get in the way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the voice issues for serval days. Initially just the Apple Music was not working and other music apps are fine. I updated my iOS system yesterday and I found that all media sound is not working (includes radios and System key tone)

I don’t know if anyone got the parking assistant issue. My parking distance control was not working twice. First time is the day I purchased the car. Second time is today, it happened with the sound problems.

I have owned my SE manual for a month. It always happens that when I start the car, the computer reports that the driver assistance systems are not currently available. Most of the time it will work after couple minutes but sometimes the car keeps warning me even after 5 to 10mins (probably it is because of the weather)

·
Registered
22 GTI SE
118 Posts
While I have not personally experienced the audio issue, I've seen several reports on it between here and a Facebook group. It would be interesting to know how people are using the inputs when it happens. I'm wondering if there is a particular input that is prone to triggering this, like Sirius XM or local radio.
It’s not SiriusXM or local radio, as I’ve never used either. I only use CarPlay. I’ve also never had an odd charging or overheating issue. I always leave it on the wireless charger if my phone battery is below 70%.

It has nothing to do with the head unit, it’s something causing an amp not turning on issue. That’s why there aren’t any chimes either.

The center channel (if you’re even using it) is likely powered directly by the head unit or a different amplifier source.

It’s only happened to me once in 1400mi, but it was a major pain in the ass, so hopefully VW will get it sorted out post haste.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I read that some MK8 owners were having glitches with some of the electronics on their cars. But that a new software update should have fixed those problems. I picked up my MK8 on Jan 3rd ( in a previous post I wrote Sunday Jan 2rd. But that was a mistake). Ive had BMWs, Audis, a Infiniti, Jaguar XE, Fords, and a Honda. Thats not including the cars that I got wife after we got married which I drive on the weekends with her and the kids. Ive wanted a Golf since I was 18 or 19 and love this GTI Autobahn 6spd. Wish I got the R for the awd but I couldnt wait till May or June. Once I do some performance mods and swap the wheels out I can just imagine how it will handle.

Now for the for the annoying things that are happening. They arent major issues that would prevent me from buying the car. Although I may have had second thoughts had I knows that these cars had electric issues. Im sure they could be resolved and I would have still gotten it.

1) The keyless entry works every time I open the door. But when I try to lock the door by swiping the door handle, they almost never lock and I use the key fob.
2) The radio had no sound 3 times. It was on but no sound was coming out of the speakers. So I shut the car off and turned it back on. The sound came back after turning the back on.
3) I have climate set at 70 degrees and on auto. Sometimes when I get back into the car and turn it on it stays at 70 degrees. Other time it will be at 71, 72, or 73 degrees.
4) Today was the second time I put my cell on the wireless charger. It would charge for 2 or 3 seconds then stop charging. My phone was lighting up over and over. It kept doing that until I shut the car off and turned it back on. Then it was charging it. But the phone was very hot.
5) And the last issue that happened 4 times. While listening to the radio the infotainment system would light up ( I think there is a small mic icon in the upper right corner or something. I cant remember) and change to another screen as if I was doing a voice command.

Someone posted that VW had a new software update for the MK8 and posted the new software updates #s. I checked an my car has the new software update. But these glitches are still happening. I called my dealer and scheduled to bring my car in for service Jan 20th. They said they will do a diagnostic check to see what the issue is.
I had my new MK8 SE GTI in to the dealer just today for exactly the very same things you described. I have only 500 miles on it. Diagnostics showed up nothing, which I expected to be honest. All I was told was if it happens again, to inform them and schedule another visit. I hope this is not going to be an ongoing thing because I really like my new GTI.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While I have not personally experienced the audio issue, I've seen several reports on it between here and a Facebook group. It would be interesting to know how people are using the inputs when it happens. I'm wondering if there is a particular input that is prone to triggering this, like Sirius XM or local radio. I pretty much use Android Auto exclusively for music and audio and wonder if it is less likely to happen in that use case versus others.

I had one incident where the car did not unlock when I put my hand in the door handle insert on the driver side and needed to do it on the passenger side instead. I have not experienced it since. I'm not sure what you mean by a swiping motion, do you mean placing your hand in the insert?

I've never seen the temp change in between starts. It could be you are accidentally hitting the sliders at some point? I don't have a wireless charging phone, but I have heard about issues with the iPhone getting cooked.

I've not seen the issue with infotainment system lighting up. It sounds to me like something said on the radio triggered the car to think that the voice activation keywords were spoken. I would disable automatic voice activation of the voice commands in the Infotainment. It's totally unnecessary since you can just press once on the steering wheel to get it, and it ends up with annoying instances like this. I keep mine off.

Sorry to hear about these frustrations, the Autobahn 6spd really is a fun ride and it's disappointing when these kind of things get in the way.
Hey thanks for the recommendations. I didnt know that about the auto voice commands on the infotainment system. I will shut if off. When I mean swiping the door handle. I meant I was pressing and running my finger along that indention on the front of the handle. The locks unlock when I hold the handle but dont lock. They locked once today out of 5 times.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had my new MK8 SE GTI in to the dealer just today for exactly the very same things you described. I have only 500 miles on it. Diagnostics showed up nothing, which I expected to be honest. All I was told was if it happens again, to inform them and schedule another visit. I hope this is not going to be an ongoing thing because I really like my new GTI.
Oh boy say it aint so LOL.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey thanks for the recommendations. I didnt know that about the auto voice commands on the infotainment system. I will shut if off. When I mean swiping the door handle. I meant I was pressing and running my finger along that indention on the front of the handle. The locks unlock when I hold the handle but dont lock. They locked once today out of 5 times.
My understanding is that you just hold your thumb/finger on it to lock it, not swipe. Try just holding your finger on the indentation in one place until it locks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My understanding is that you just hold your thumb/finger on it to lock it, not swipe. Try just holding your finger on the indentation in one place until it locks.
Ive held my finger on that area, ive swiped, caressed it as though it was a hot woman's thigh. You name it Ive done it. LOL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dying :D And yeah, the pomelo is brilliant! 🤜🤛
My 2018 Jaguar XE 30T AWD that I leased January 2019 was totaled Dec 2021. And I am so grateful for that on one hand because I didnt like that car too much. On the other hand I hated the fact I now had to go look at new cars in this market. It was due back in Feb but I extended the lease 6 months (although I could return anytime I wanted and didnt have to keep those extra 6 months). I extended it because of how expensive the car market it. Cars are being sold over sticker. By me in Long Island Ive seen 2021 Ford Broncos being sold between $6k to $12.5k above msrp. And they are 2021 models because the 2022 models havent even arrived yet. A 90 year old school bus driver plowed through my fence and bushes, slammed into my car so hard that it lifted onto my brick flower bed. There was also some damage to the house, siding , gutter pipe and a few other small things. The front of the car didnt have that much damage. But the wheels were turned over 90 degrees to the left. So the drive train was damaged. I went to this dealer 4 times and he called me 3 times. The 5th time I ended up signing for the car. Originally he they wanted $5k over msrp. After going back and forth as well as him telling me that the end of the month for them was Jan 4th, the car sitting there since the 1st week of november, it being a 6spd and pomelo yellow. I said your not getting rid of that car by Jan 4th. I was there Jan 1st and they were open believe it or not. I went there with my 11 year old daughter who is my side kick and a mini me when it comes to negotiating as well as behavior (not sure if thats a good thing). Dealer finally agrees to $1000 over sticker and says let me talk to my manager. As he walks away my daughter says tell your manager to throw in those all season rubber mats with the red GTI logo on them. He says huh...she responds I saw them in that small accessories section over there. The guy looks at me and I said , Mark my daughter is right. This young 21 year old salesman with not much experience was just told by an 11 year old girl that the deal depends not only the manager agreeing to $1000 over stick but to also include front and rear rubber mats. He comes back and had a shocked look on his face. He said my manager said yes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts