VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why oh why is VW not paying to fix this problem when they are fixing the 2001=2203 cars? My car has misfired enough and I got worried and took it in today. Now they have also found that a hot/cold sensor is bad, and a pump for coolant is leaking. That pump is suppose to last 60,000 miles. The dealer even admits I should be pissed off! That I am getting screwed here. They are actually giving me the tune up for free since they can't get VW to help out on any of this crap. Funny thing is the car ran good. Except when it got steamy out.
Total cost now.....1183.00. I am sick. I have fought with VW over this ignition coil issue for months. I was to told I have the same engine as the 2001 Jetta VR6, but they fix those and not mine?? Its insane. They claim not enough complaints on the 2000 yet. Please call the VW customer care line if your 2000 VR6 engine has had ignition coil issues or replacement. Maybe if we all group together we can get reimbursed one day.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Re: Anyone else having ignition coil problems with a 2000 VR6?? (losinsusan)

Yeah, I had a bad coil pack. Replaced under extended warranty though.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts

that sucks, I am still a bit confused as to why the bill was $1183? For a coilpack and a waterpump was it?
Should be like $500-$600 max no?
I also had the same prob with my VR6 coilpack and I got a new one on ebay for $62. The steal of the century http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lucky you to do it yourself. Nope it runs about 800 for a ignition coil and wires out here. Independant shop said they could do it for 600 but then I wouldn't of had the free tune up that would have cost 400. It was a sensor also for 355 and the pump! I wondered why my coolant had lost two cups roughly. Now I know I had a leak. Never saw a drop on the driveway though. Anyway the car is back today and seems to run okay. Glad to have it back. So much trouble, this car, but I love it. What can I say, I love driving it!

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
Re: (losinsusan)

Quote, originally posted by losinsusan »
Lucky you to do it yourself. Nope it runs about 800 for a ignition coil and wires out here. Independant shop said they could do it for 600 but then I wouldn't of had the free tune up that would have cost 400. It was a sensor also for 355 and the pump! I wondered why my coolant had lost two cups roughly. Now I know I had a leak. Never saw a drop on the driveway though. Anyway the car is back today and seems to run okay. Glad to have it back. So much trouble, this car, but I love it. What can I say, I love driving it!

A tune up for $400.00. Somthing is wrong.
I know the plugs are a little espensive but dam yo.
I have not had a coild pack failure in mine yet, however I do notice a subtle miss every now and then.

To hell with VW, why don't we all get together with a group buy and see if MSD or Accel or some after market company could make us a high quality performance coil?
Are there any after market coils that I am not aware of?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just today I had my 2001 VR6 in for an ignition coil replacement and it ran $550. However the way I understand it, is, there are more than one... Is that true. If so, two would run around 1100! BTW this only became a problem after a heavy downpour. My theory is that the ignition coil was cracked producing a sulfur smell (which had been going on for weeks), then when the water seaped in after the downpour, the electrical situation became exacerbated. Just a theory though... Did I mention the sulfur smell? I will pay attention to see if it goes away.

Modified by vwgretorn at 3:32 PM 6-1-2004

·
Registered
S4, B8.5, M/T, Stg3
8,223 Posts

Don't know why you guys don't use the Search,
search the Archives for the words "Coil Pack", it's been an ungoing problem with our cars going back to Mk3's. There is a fix, it will cost you $5.
The VR6 coil pack is a single piece, onto which your spark plug wires hook onto, then your power goes to the plugs.
With time the top side of the coil pack, which is factory epoxy coated, cracks and develops small hairline cracks, when it's raining and moist/damp/wet outside, the moisture gets trapped under these small spider cracks, so now when you fire up, the sparks look for the shortest path to conduct, so they go to one of the grounding bolts (at the corners) of the coil pack, hence you get misfires and a possible CEL.
Once the coil pack warms up, the moisture evaporates and you're good until the next time.
The fix is simple, remove the coil, dry it out and using JB Weld, high temp automotive epoxy, coat the top.
Problem solved.

·
25,141 Posts
Re: (vwgretorn)

Quote, originally posted by vwgretorn »
Just today I had my 2001 VR6 in for an ignition coil replacement and it ran $550. However the way I understand it, is, there are more than one... Is that true. If so, two would run around 1100! BTW this only became a problem after a heavy downpour. My theory is that the ignition coil was cracked producing a sulfur smell (which had been going on for weeks), then when the water seaped in after the downpour, the electrical situation became exacerbated. Just a theory though... Did I mention the sulfur smell? I will pay attention to see if it goes away.
Modified by vwgretorn at 3:32 PM 6-1-2004

No there is only one in your car.
And you guys should have come here first and asked about it instead of complaining afterward. If you check the FAQ at the top of the 12v vr6 forum you will find a how to that involves some JB weld epoxy and about an hour. It costs 4 dollars and fixes the CP as good as new.
And yes, the packs do crack, allowing moisture (this is why they act up on wet/muggy days) to penetrate the pack, therby causing misfires and ground outs.

·
25,141 Posts

ElectroMIke got the jump on me!
Anyway, losinsusan, you will never get VW to repair or reimburse this issue, it has been present since the late 90's when the MKIII VR6's switched to coil packs.
Obviously VW tried to get away from the problem with the individual coils on the 24v VR6, but we all know how that turned out....
And they WON't fix them in the 2001 cars either, just 2002.5+, as these cars used the newer, 24v VR6

Modified by rs4-380 at 4:42 PM 6-1-2004

·
Registered
S4, B8.5, M/T, Stg3
8,223 Posts
Re: Anyone else having ignition coil problems with a 2000 VR6?? (rs4-380)

BTW, for those looking to buy a new coil pack for the 12V VR6, spend the money with Vortex advertisers, don't give in to your stealerships.
You can buy a brand new coil pack for $150 here: http://www.ecstuning.com/stage....html

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Re: Anyone else having ignition coil problems with a 2000 VR6?? (ElectroMike)

looks different from the pack on my car does it look different because this a new non-cracking/failing version?

·
Banned
32,385 Posts
Re: Anyone else having ignition coil problems with a 2000 VR6?? (bjettin)

FYI - I had the dealer/Vw replace mine under warranty on my 00'. AFTER the warranty was over!!
Milage 27K, back in 2002, but I was curteious and professional, and made several calls, but in the end they covered it.....and 2 plug wires.....

·
Registered
328 Posts
VR6 ignition coil problems!

Does anyone know where to get the best price on
an ignition coil for a 2.8L VR6?
My dealer wants $405 plus tax.
I pulled it off today and didn't see any cracks.
I'm going to put JB weld on it anyway and see if it helps.
When it's raining or damp out, (like everyone else's)
the car will misfire and jump.
I've been told the VR6 has an IGNITION COIL and
the 1.8T has actual COIL PACKS, where it attaches to
the spark plug.
I've used the search, and many people with 2000 and
newer VR6 engines have the same exact problem.
I agree there should be a recall on this part!
I also see that people are getting quotes from
dealers from $600 to $850 to have it replaced.
I can assure you the part is easy to place yourself, whether you
buy a new ignition coil or coat the cracked one with JB weld. You will need a 5mm hex key to remove the 4 long bolts holding it on.
It may be helpful to remove the plastic engine cover with a size 30 torx head screw driver. That's all the tools you need.
If anyone has anything intelligent to add to this post, besides
the usual "use the search" or "right on man" crap to increase their
number of post, please do.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Re: Anyone else having ignition coil problems with a 2000 VR6?? (lsinlv)

That ignitio coil pictured is diff than the one on my car.
I have a 2000 2.8L VR6.
It is easy to replace yourself. The problem is the cost of
a new one from the dealer. My dealer wants $405 plus tax.
I'm looking for a replacement on the net.
I JB welded it, but I don't know if it will help. I'll see in the
next week or 2 if it misfires.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Re: Anyone else having ignition coil problems with a 2000 VR6?? (DC VR6)

the one in the picture is different than the one we have.
i have a 2k jetta vr6 and my coil pack went. i bought the one in the picture from ecs and had to change the coil pack plug thing with my own. but other than that. it will work. i also did the epoxy fix too. no problem since then and it has been about a year.

·
Registered
33,981 Posts
Re: Anyone else having ignition coil problems with a 2000 VR6?? (ElectroMike)

MIke, the coil in the picture is not for Mk4 12V Vr6s, it is for earlier VR6s (not sure which ones, but ECS Site says which ones!)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: Anyone else having ignition coil problems with a 2000 VR6?? (ROCKnRLR)

I had the same problem a year ago, just 2500 miles over warentee and it was going to cost about 500 bucks to fix. The dealor (Thompson VW in Waterville, ME) is really nice though and they fixed it for free out of warentee, did something and got VWoA to pay for it.

·
Registered
393 Posts

Samething here....
Dealer just called me and told me---my car needed a complete diagnostic check up that rans about$400.----just because I have a after market air filter and Navigation system in my car. She was keep asking me did I chiped my car which I did not. She also told me my battary power protective adpoter could this issue.
also O2 sensor is not responding

from misfire to all electronical problems

cost up to $2000
Help?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts