VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's kinda scary.

Thing that annoys me most about it is that it passed inspection two days ago so I'm gonna have to have a discussion with Firestone about that.

On the lighter side, it was kind of funny to see the wheel rolling along side the car. The sparks though were not so funny.

Not dead, typing this from tow truck. Should be home soon.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Looks like you lost the axle nut. Taking a old vw to firestone is nuts. That axle nut only need about 12ft lbs and a new cotter pin to be correct, many people do not put them together right.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeaaah. I really do hate taking it there :/ but we have a credit line through them so it's just a safety net for any big issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,552 Posts
My Dad was driving a newly rebuilt 60 Bugeye, taking us for rides, and he was turning a corner, and the front left wheel came off.. Sparks were Flying off the Drum..... My Dad looked at my older brother, and said, "I thought you had tightened the lug nuts.." The look on my father's face was absolutely funny stern, and thankful.... My Cousin hopped out and said whooooopie let's do it again.

I had the same issue on my Van about 2 weeks ago. I had bought two tires, and they were rotating them from rear to front.
Not a word.... I decided to replace the other two, and the tech then said, you know your wheel bearing is gone.....
145 bucks later I replace the Hub assembly on the rear, and took him a 6 pack. Why the first tech missed it I DON'T Know, but they knocked 75 off the lifetime alignment... :) As I wasn't a real happy camper....... ;)

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I would not adjust that type of bearing with 12ft/lbs. It needs a slight about of freeplay so when the bearing heats up, it will not seize.

·
Registered
21,552 Posts
I always to fully tight to seat the bearing, then back it off till it barely freespins.... it's one of those by feel way that comes from years of doing it, and never reuse a cotter pin, they are cheap.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Made it home! (A few hours ago but was in a rush) tow driver was super nice and friendly and helpful. He was also a vw fan which I don't see too many of around here. Very minimal damage it seems from first glance and he even commented on how clean it was

I'll be sure to order the parts asap and get this on the road again.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Sure looks scary! loosing a back wheel is always better than a front though.

Funny that people are now sharing their ways of setting the preload on the bearings. The way I was taught by my father (who owns a shop) is to go snug plus a touch. Throw the wheel on and give it a strong spin, the wheel then should turn between 1/2 and 3/4 of a turn... We have never had premature failures.

·
Registered
78rabbit1.5LGP & 82rabbitpickup1.6DGC
11,525 Posts
yeah same thing happened to my truck...
rear wheel bearing melted.
either it didnt have any grease or it was over tight.
i had just bought the truck

either way...the whole drum and wheel disappeared permanently somewhere on the highway....ditch or creek...

the drum actually exploded. the axle was intact but there were no bearings left. only the nut on the axle stub

i had to put 180mm backing plates & drums on temporarily until i got some new 200mm backing plates from the junkyard

not in a rabbit but...
i had a passenger front tire blow out once
i was in the right lane thankfully...i flew over the onramp into the right median
going about 65mph!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts