VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
4,801 Posts
Re: anyone ever use the factory jack that came with their car? (mobile363)

Quote, originally posted by mobile363 »
i had to use mine today. doesn't look too safe. is this a fair assumption?

I used mine once. It did the job and didn't collapse.
I just would never crawl under the car when it's supported by it. That would be stupidity.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
3,416 Posts
Re: anyone ever use the factory jack that came with their car? (Bogner_16V)

Quote, originally posted by Bogner_16V »
i used it once, i'm never gonna use it again the jack slipped while i was taking a wheel off, and it shattered my brake rotor.

First reason you should set your spare under the car before jacking it up. Once you have the flat off, put that under the car and put your spare on. Wallah, brake rotors do not hit the ground.

· Registered
3,490 Posts

I have used mine many times, I trust it as long as I am not under the car

· Banned
690 Posts
Re: anyone ever use the factory jack that came with their car? (ghostrider)

Went to jack mine once and must not have had it centred very vertically cause it folded the damn threaded rod of the jack over and wrecked it. Had to use my GF's jack from her car to lift it up and remove that POS. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif Now I just strap a small hydraulic jack in there. Much better IMO.

· Registered
10,906 Posts

I use mine all the time..nothing gets the car up faster - but you have to be on a level surface - and i too would never get under the car with just that holding the car up - putting the wheel under the car is a good saftey idea if you don't have a jackstand handy....and NEVER get in the car with that holding it up - the front to back or side to side motions could casue it to fall....
Dan

· Registered
99 Posts

I use it every time i jack up my car
My other jack can't come under the car because it's lowered that much, so i start with the factory jack and then uses my other jack!
/Mikkel

· Registered
4,801 Posts
Re: (A2hybridVR6)

Quote, originally posted by A2hybridVR6 »
I only used mine once, to weight down the bottom of my trash can. Dont carry a spare anyways.

I wouldn't want to be without one. But then some of the places I've had to drive are no cell coverage areas. You is on your own.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
6,480 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ghostrider »
find a scissor style jack... not a half scissor.

Mine came from the factory with a "full" scissor. I've only used it once and I was surprised how well it worked. I never like to use any body points to jack up the car, even if it's specified by the factory.
BTW, my trusty Sears hydraulic floor jack has performed flawlessly since 1988.

· Registered
6,142 Posts
Re: anyone ever use the factory jack that came with their car? (niels_dale)

I have a half scissor on the corrado and I change the spare once and it bent the thread and the jack broke almost broke my arm...I have the full scissor and it's great...these stock VW jacks are great for lowered cars...my heavy duty jack would not fit under the car.

· Registered
19,087 Posts
Re: anyone ever use the factory jack that came with their car? (87GolfKart)

i've never had a problem with them. just make sure you set the foot up in the right position before cranking. getting under any car that is supported by any JACk is not a good idea. even hydraulic jacks can suddenly fail at any point from bad seals etc. jack stands however will not.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.