VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Re: anyone ever used a K04-18 ceramic turbo? (LA Wolfsburg)

i think it can be used on the long 1.8ts, not sure though.
the ko4-015 is a bolt on for them

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: anyone ever used a K04-18 ceramic turbo? (AxeAngel)

does the ceramic turbine make a big difference? are the gains similar to a normal k04?

·
Registered
7,026 Posts

looking at this turbo i think that it is a standard koy with a k18 turbine. i can only speculate that it is ceramic coated for heat dissipation

·
Registered
4,542 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]looking at this turbo i think that it is a standard koy with a k18 turbine. i can only speculate that it is ceramic coated for heat dissipation[HR][/HR]​
I think its ceramic- not coated.

·
Registered
782 Posts

Why not just go for a real turbo. Turbonetics, Garret, Innovative. They're quite a bit ahead in technology vs. KKK...

·
Registered
951 Posts
Re: anyone ever used a K04-18 ceramic turbo? (Project20v)

quote:[HR][/HR]Why not just go for a real turbo. Turbonetics, Garret, Innovative. They're quite a bit ahead in technology vs. KKK...[HR][/HR]​
I can't answer for other people, but I like the 'fake' turbo just fine that VW put on for me.
It would be nice to know if we could bolt-up a higher capacity, ceramic 'fake' turbo if our lowly turbos ever blow up (likely due to their inferior technology).
So hopefully someone has that information on wether this low-tech turbo is a direct bolt-on - that info might come in handy for me, at some point.
T.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Re: anyone ever used a K04-18 ceramic turbo? (Bootzilla)

Easy, just a question showing my opinion. Nothing to get bent out of shape about.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts

Ceramic composits can withstand much higher temperatures than metal alloys and cast iron, I am talking about 2500F vs. 1800F.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Re: anyone ever used a K04-18 ceramic turbo? (20V1.8Tnut)

but what about chip programming? if for instance someone had an APR chip, how do you go about putting ANY larger turbo on and not having issues? are there chips avail. that are adjustable for larger turbos?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Re: anyone ever used a K04-18 ceramic turbo? (Handsome Boy Model)

Only one way to find out.

Someone else on this board has a K-04 running APR software, and if I'm not mistaken, BillyT was still running the APR software with his crazy engine when it finally let go...

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Re: anyone ever used a K04-18 ceramic turbo? (BMGBeetle)

i think he stopped using the apr programming a few months ago, but it did support up to 350whp then he changed over

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Re: anyone ever used a K04-18 ceramic turbo? (20V1.8Tnut)

quote:[HR][/HR]Ceramic composits can withstand much higher temperatures than metal alloys and cast iron, I am talking about 2500F vs. 1800F.[HR][/HR]​
It's also ~1/2 the mass. I'm not going to do the math right now, but an extra 10grams accelerating to 100,000rpm in a fraction of a second eats up more energy than most would think. I imagine it also helps insulate the shaft from the heat.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts

any boost controller will support 350whp if you have the larger injectors and larger MAF to fool the ECU.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts