VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Anyone fit a mountain bike in the back of the A3 / S3 sedan?

13K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  2018_Audi_A3 
#1 ·
Specifically with the rear seats folded down and the front wheel detached.

I'm cross shopping the car with the Golf R, and one of the things I like about the hatch form factor of the Golf is that I can fit my bike in the back with the seats down and the front wheel detached.

I am not a fan of roof racks and trunk racks.

I'm thinking of bringing my bike down to try it out but I am guessing the sales guy won't be too fond of that.

First hand accounts and pics would be preferred. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I'm thinking of bringing my bike down to try it out but I am guessing the sales guy won't be too fond of that.
Why wouldn't he be if you clean the mud off and take it slow so you don't gouge/damage anything?

If that's one of your buying requirements, and they don't let you, its their fault if you don't buy from them. ;P

Let me know if you find out, because I'm also curious. It's worth noting that the FWD A3 has a deeper/bigger trunk since it doesn't have the rear driveshafts and haldex unit to make space for, so anyone who posts, please be clear which model you tried it in.

#5 ·
I just slid a 56cm road bike, with just the front wheel removed, into the back of my S3. The seats were down, and it wasn't a struggle at all to get it in. I think it will come down to the size of the bike, whether it's a 29er, and how much seatpost you have extended. I'm optimistic.

#6 ·
I do this all the time with my '15 A3. I remove the front wheel and the bike fits in layed down flat, then just put the front wheel on top of the bike (in a protector bag). It fits with loads of room, you will have no problem. The bike, for reference, is a Specialized stumpjumper fsr 650b

I was considering a 2013 A3, but I took my bike to the dealership and it was a tighter squeeze (I had to bend the bars up in the air to get it to fit lengthwise). It sounds like you've tested the fit in the golf though, and it's big enough for you. I just had more room in the newer A3, and it was way sicker than the old one, so yea

#16 ·
What is your model? I know that big mountain models can really have problems loading into the car's luggage compartment. Previously, I had similar difficulties until I looked at the folding bike, you can also look here and to make a "change". With folding function, there should be no problems with different brands of cars, even two-door. I was lucky to get even a very powerful road bike with folding function

#18 ·
Specifically with the rear seats folded down and the front wheel detached.

I'm cross shopping the car with the Golf R, and one of the things I like about the hatch form factor of the Golf is that I can fit my bike in the back with the seats down and the front wheel detached.

I am not a fan of roof racks and trunk racks.

First hand accounts and pics would be preferred. Thanks in advance.
Trek 29inch Marlin fits just fine with the seats down & the front tire off and placed on top of the bike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.