VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Wow, Papa, you got a great crew. Thanks for sharing!

My girl asked me to take her running...she wants to learn, and do cross country at school :thumbup:

·
Registered
15,500 Posts
- every time one of the girls comes home, gets off the school bus, wakes up, etc.. they always hug each other. Not going to lie, it sometimes makes me tear up.

Our girls are the same way. It's entirely too sweet. They both dote on the youngest, too. He's going to have a rough go finding a girl who measures up to the standards they are setting!

Our eldest has a few kids with special needs (if that term is improper someone let me know) in her class. One boy sits at the table with her. He's non-verbal but she says hi and bye anyways, asks if she can help and asks his aide if she can help. We only know this because her teacher said something to my wife "it's so nice you encourage her to talk to everyone, no matter who they are". We had no idea the "boy who doesn't say much" at her table was this boy.

I don't like to boast but that makes me proud just to be associated with her. (Tear)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
On this topic, and I am glad that it was brought up, I have really been making a concerted effort to stop being so distracted with work and other life matters when I am around the girls and recognize these achievements more. Trying to keep the phone down, laptop off until they go to bed, not get so concerned with necessary choirs, etc.. Just a little effort has made me quickly realize how much life happens to them in such a short amount of time and there won't be a bigger disappointment in myself if I miss it because of other BS.

·
Registered
15,500 Posts
Just a little effort has made me quickly realize how much life happens to them in such a short amount of time and there won't be a bigger disappointment in myself if I miss it because of other BS.
:thumbup:

We've been trying (and failing sometimes, of course) - to leave the phones over on the counter when we eat dinner at the very least, my goal is to leave it alone from the time I get home till after bedtime. Sure, a lot of dinner and that time is working on table manners and "just eat the friggen food!", and usual homework/shower/next day stuff, but even all under 7yo they say some funny and profound things that really give a window into their minds and soul---even the wild 2yo has random outbursts where we are just surprised he can already put a certain "thought" together.

·
Banned
26,117 Posts
It's getting more fun. The early years were tough on us, he wasn't an easy baby. Watching him want to practice his letter and number writing before bed tonight made me excited to see how much more he develops. Yeah I will never hold another teeny one of my own but seeing him grow is more than enough. He's so athletic too. Not a trip to the bike park goes by without at least 2 questions from parents on how old he is. He's the best at his soccer team. We went to the park and he was throwing a football and 2 separate sets of parents came to watch the future QB. At Halloween when the kids were pregaming with various sports they all were shocked at how well he hits fast pitch baseball pitches. Their kids couldn't catch a ball but he has a great arm, can catch, can hit home runs, etc. Our focus has been on giving him the best childhood he can have versus adding a sibling for him and stressing us and thus the family out. It's really fun watching as he develops all these skills and interacts with his friends on a night like Halloween or a party. When I get stressed my wife asks me what my most favorite things to do are and one is watching him just enjoy being a kid. He will be 5 at XMas time. So long story short not really, just enjoying the progression.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Mine is moving into stringing thoughts and sentences together, she's also counting and starting the alphabet as well. It's heart melting and heart breaking at the same time. She's still a little shy as evidenced on Beggar's Night; she made it to two houses before pitching the "I'm so nervous I'm going to throw punches" fit. But, she saw me handing out candy on the porch and took the bowl out of my lap when the next round of kids came up and handed out candy for an HOUR, and she loved it. And she's 2.5 years old.

She's also really taken a shine to going to the grocery store with me, of all places. It's sort of a vaudeville routine; she dances through the isles and puts stuff in the basket and runs away scream-laughing when I put it back, and she says hi to the self-checkout recording.

She also has the throwing arm of Peyton Manning and a Mike Tyson jab. :banghead:

OK, I had been feeling a bit anxious about missing so much of her infant/baby era, but writing this stuff down makes me feel a bit better. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
My emotions are all over the place, My eldest just made me a grandpa and my youngest just started 4th grade. My middle daughter just entered her teenage years so yeah, having girls with that much spread is pretty stressful but I wouldn't change a thing. I'll take the sad and the happy while I can. I'm not looking forward to the lonely once they all move out but I have some time. Oh I'm only 41

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Oh I'm only 41
Be glad you got it done early. 42 and my kids just turned 4 and 2. Nearly broke down in the store yesterday on a 'date' with the wife, saw this on the shelf:

My baby girl played with this till the books were torn up and the box all shredded, thought about getting it for her now that she is reading by herself and all 'big girl' at 4.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
It's perspective. We traveled and lived an opulent lifestyle in our 20s and 30s that we wouldn't have enjoyed with kids and wouldn't have been ready so I wouldn't have done it any other way. We had kids at 35. Now we have all this life experience that we were young enough to enjoy and can pass along to our kids and have begun going back to our favorite places with our kids now. Granted, if it had happened that we had them at a young age, we would have dealt with it, but certainly wouldn't have been optimal.

·
Registered
23,931 Posts
Over the summer I had a foot race with my 16 year old son and 12 year old daughter. My son is an autistic musical whiz, best way to explain him would be to call him Data. My daughter is a beast of an athlete who works really hard in school and truly impresses.

Me: a 42 year old avid runner, swimmer, biker and soccer player.

The outcome was embarrassing:

Last (by too much) - me
Second - Data
First - 12 year old daughter

They are definitely growing up.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Have my sister over along with my niece and nephew for a month, and after full week, I'm ready to sell to the highest bidder. Its horrible. One is constantly extorting me for more tv time and the next one does all the dirty work. Remind me to never have kids.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts