VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Re: Anyone get the Evo CAI yet ? (GTI1.8)

i do not personally, but i have seen one installed on one and it looks pretty clean. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Re: Anyone get the Evo CAI yet ? (yellow20thgti)

go look in the 1.8t forum. It is the same car just a different color....

·
Registered
430 Posts
Re: Anyone get the Evo CAI yet ? (602crew)

Nice, very suttle and bet it does some nice stuff, what kind of performance gains did you feel?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Re: Anyone get the Evo CAI yet ? (GTI1.8)

I got the EVO 1-piece on the car a few weeks ago. Between that and the Samco/Forge turbo inlet, there's a whole lotta cool turbo noises going on under the hood. I can't say the CAI made a big difference alone because I changed a couple things at once, but I sure like the combination of what I did! (EVO CAI, Samco/Forge TIH, Forge DV-R reversed) The midrange and upper end feels like it pulls stronger. Not that we were talking about it, but the Dieselgeek short shifter (race version) is one of the best mods so far!
The only thing I didn't like about the EVO is the little bracket that holds it to the inner fender. I installed everything by the book and the bracket isn't even close to hooking up. I'm gonna have to fab up my own bracket to hold the thing in place. the bracket that is supplied is a little 90 degree bracket, but I need something about 3 inches long in order to reach the stud on the inner fender. If I force the whole thing into position, I think it would flex the TIH back an un-natural amount. I think the thing should sit in a nice resting position and the bracket should hold it there. That way when the engine moves it'll be a subtle amount either fore or aft from a resting position. Minor gripe though. I really like how it looks under the hood. I got the super stealthy all black version (same with the TIH).
-Wayne

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Re: Anyone get the Evo CAI yet ? (Wayne92SLC)

The first thing i noticed with mine is how loud by BOV/DV became. That thing echos the "pssshhhhttt" sound all around the engine bay and in the CAI piping. I love it. You can definitely tell there is a turbo. It also seems as though the turbo spooling sound is increased. As to what Wayne92SLC said about the bracket, I bought mine used so i had no bracket. I don't think there was one on the 3 pc. I could be wrong. The thing is such a tight fit around the battery with the wires blocking the hole to the inner fender, that I didn't need anything because of the tightness. Make sure that the filter is tight!!!!!! I thought i put mine on tight enough but after some wheel hop in the rain, the filter fell off. It's not too easy to put back on without taking the wheel off. I know for sure that the filter will not fall off now!!!!
As for performance, having the filter down low helps a lot. While i was letting the car cool down after a 30 min. drive up the highway (going really fast) I felt the piping and it was still cool.
I had also taken off the vents under the grill for air to the filter and the intercooler. Hope this helps, sorry for the long post.

Modified by 602crew at 7:21 PM 7-1-2003

·
Registered
265 Posts
Re: Anyone get the Evo CAI yet ? (602crew)

So you say you noticed better BOV/DV sound. Do you have an aftermarket BOV/DV or stock? I mean part of the joy of driving a turbo is the wonderful sounds they make!!!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Re: Anyone get the Evo CAI yet ? (FLAWLESS)

There's kind of a combination of sounds that are more noticable with the CAI. At part throttle, the turbo makes a low frequency sound kinda like blowing air into a tube with an air gun--not pulling the trigger all the way, just bleeding it into the tube. Kinda like a "sighing" sound my wife makes after I tell her how much I 'm spending on car mods. (ooof) At WOT, the sound changes into a high pitched whistle from the turbo. Very cool. Of course, when you shift or just let off the throttle, the DV lets opens up and you get either a PSSHHHHH sound. Both 007P and DVR make more of squeak along with the PSSHHHHH (operating in reverse). As far as cool sounds go, it's almost worth all the money I spent...almost.
-Wayne

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Re: Anyone get the Evo CAI yet ? (FLAWLESS)

Quote, originally posted by FLAWLESS »
So you say you noticed better BOV/DV sound. Do you have an aftermarket BOV/DV or stock? I mean part of the joy of driving a turbo is the wonderful sounds they make!!!

I have a GFB hybrid DV. You can see it in the picture i posted earlier in the thread.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Re: Anyone get the Evo CAI yet ? (Wayne92SLC)

Quote, originally posted by Wayne92SLC »
Kinda like a "sighing" sound my wife makes after I tell her how much I 'm spending on car mods.

Oh man, i nearly fell off my chair that was the best description i have ever heard hahahaha!
-Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts