VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm reposting a question from the 'hybrid forum', thought it made more sense in here...

I've made a homebrew 4motion ARL 150PD from 2 donor mk4 golfs (actually into a new beetle shell) and need to recode the ECU to tell it it's now a 4motion.
Is there anyone out there with a 2003 (preferably) 4motion 150PD ARL Golf or Bora who can give me a screenshot of the ECU coding number? This is the number that comes up when you plug in a diagnostic unit and start communication with the ECU, mine from the 2wd PD donor currently says:
Coding: 00002
WSC: 001317

Or does anyone have the table from the Repair Manual for this model and year - for info on how to build the code from binary bits depending on the car's engine and transmission options?

many thanks guys / girls...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hi.

Your ECU may not have a program for each slot.

The coding on similar mk4's was:

00001 = Autom. Transmission
00002 = Manual Transmission (Front-Wheel-Drive)
00003 = Manual Transmission (All-Wheel-Drive)

Good luck.

-Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mr Dave, thanks for the info, very helpful.

That leads me to ask, if I change the coding to 00003 and there is no program, I guess it all goes very wrong. Is this a recoverable situation or is that a scrap ECU??

thanks again :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If there's no program in 00003, the recoding won't take.

For my ALH I have an economy tune in 1, a performance tune in 2, and nothing in 3.

Talk to your chip guy.

You might need the euro ARL 4-mo ECU to get the slot 3 coding.

Or, skip all that and just get the HPA TouchMotion.
https://www.hpamotorsports.com/touchmotion-awd-programmer

-Dave
:thumbup: Great info, thanks MrDave. I've been checking further on ETKA and for my ECU and model year it doesn't show any difference in the listing between 2wd and 4motion, same part number fits all, so I'm guessing all the info is in place, ready to use... Can't hurt to try. Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts