VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright i put in some 262 cams in my car and after 500 miles of driving . my front cam broke in half.. has anyone else had any problems. my one friend's also broke in the same spot a while back he had said.. i called up mjm and they said there has been numerous calls about these failing.. .. im going back to stock cams..

· Registered
46 Posts
I got mine from MJM. i have a little over 70k on my 262's and no problems.:thumbup:

· Registered
34,600 Posts
If you EVER drop them they can break into pieces upon install. Also, if you get them caught while torquing the cam caps, they can get stressed and then break later.

I broke a Schrick 276 front cam a few years ago, **** happens, buy another one.

· Registered
1,863 Posts
havnt had any problems with mine. been in there for about 25,000 miles

· Registered
165 Posts
alright i put in some 262 cams in my car and after 500 miles of driving . my front cam broke in half.. has anyone else had any problems. my one friend's also broke in the same spot a while back he had said.. i called up mjm and they said there has been numerous calls about these failing.. .. im going back to stock cams..

Funny you should ask, I just pulled my valve cover for a reseal and I found this. Sent this message to James at Four Season Tuning but no response.

"Hi James,

About a year ago I ordered quite a few parts from you. One of those included a set of Autotech 262 cams and new lifters. Well today while resealing my valve cover I noticed odd wear on a few of the lobes on both cams. It appears that the machined surface has flaked a the highest lift of the lobe exposing the raw lobe surface underneath. I have never seen wear from a cam like this before. Considering these cams only have about 10,000 miles on them I believe this to be abnormal. The lifters are perfectly smooth. It appears to be a defect in the hardness of the lobe surface. All bearing surfaces are smooth and no signs of scoring exist indicating oil pressure was not the cause of this damage. I'm contacting you in hopes that you can provide me with some assistance. I don't believe these cams should have failed this early. I have linked some pictures below, they are not the best.. Thank you for your time.

- Phil"

· Registered
34,600 Posts
Oh that's not bad my Schrick broke in two places and killed the head.

The cam lobe face wear I've seen before on stock billets. Generally it's caused by not pre-lubing the lifters/cam on install, a lifter not spinning in its bore, or oil that's lost some lubricity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.