VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1989 GTI 16v
3,812 Posts
Are you saying the manifold is cracked, or that the gasket surfaces are warped?

If cracked, you should give brazing a try. Brazing cracks in cast iron work a lot better and prove more reliable than welding, the flux-coated bronze brazing rods are cheap, and you only need a MAPP or perhaps even propane torch to heat the manifold enough for the brazing medium to penetrate the cracks.

There's a bit of a learning curve to this technique, but if you have a solid grasp on soldering, you can learn to braze.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the input! It was a broken stud that I mostly drilled out, but the remaining material won’t come out after trying various methods. It’s like the heat melded the stud with the mani. If I can’t find a new one, I guess I’ll throw a regular bolt +nut on it.

·
Registered
1989 GTI 16v
3,812 Posts
A machinist or someone with a drill press and good bits can get the rest of that broken stud out. Then, you can install a new stud or go with the bolt and nut. If you have a pay someone else to do it, or invest in better drill bits and/or a better drill, that's going to be easier and probably cheaper than trying to source a new manifold. Extreme heat fusing the stud to the manifold could be a thing, but more likely it's just corrosion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.