VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
5,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just talked to a VW tech and he said that it's very common for 24v VR6s to have a leaky head gasket that rears its ugly head around 30K. I did a search and found nothing on it, and I'm right at 30K and have been rock solid. Just wondering if anyone had it and didn't know that it was a common problem or if it's a rarity.

· Registered
9,010 Posts
Re: Anyone have a head gasket leak? (collins_tc)

Quote, originally posted by collins_tc »
Just talked to a VW tech and he said that it's very common for 24v VR6s to have a leaky head gasket that rears its ugly head around 30K. I did a search and found nothing on it, and I'm right at 30K and have been rock solid. Just wondering if anyone had it and didn't know that it was a common problem or if it's a rarity.

Never heard of this being an issue with the 24v's ..... It was back in the days of the first VR's -the OBDI ones, but I dont think its an issue these days.
I'm at 26K runs fine..

· Registered
4,593 Posts
Re: Anyone have a head gasket leak? (BigBlockBug)

i dont have any head gasket leaks as far as i know. 58k miles 30k of those SC'd if i dont have any problems i seriously doubt its a common problem on this motor...especailly since i have one that was made the 2nd month of their production

· Registered
5,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Anyone have a head gasket leak? (2002gtibluvr6)

Hmm...thank you for the responses all! I've been in this forum a lot since I bought my GLI in April 2004 and I couldn't ever remember seeing anything about it.
I think we've been a pretty lucky group overall when you think about it. Other than the warm start issues, coilpacks and third gear grind, the 24v has been a pretty reliable engine.

· Registered
89 Posts
Re: Anyone have a head gasket leak? (collins_tc)

Bought my car a 2003 the next day back to the dealer to replace a leaky head gasket, found a oil spot about 14inches by 10inches the next morning.

Modified by jettaglx53154 at 9:28 PM 9-12-2005

· Registered
12,271 Posts
Re: Anyone have a head gasket leak? (jettaglx53154)

Quote, originally posted by jettaglx53154 »
Bought me car a 2003 the next day back to the dealer to replace a leaky head gasket, found a oil spot about 14inches by 10inches the next morning.

Head gasket replacement at 3k! WEEEEEEEEEEE!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.