VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Re: anyone have a how to for replacing cv joint? (band01)

just replace the entire axle
30mm socket and breaker bar
8mm 12 point torx bit (some correct me if im wrong on that size)
18mm socket and wrench and go to town
lossen axel nut ( 30mm socket)
and lossen lugnuts
jack car up and secure with stands
crawl under car start taken out the 6 torx( i think there called that) bolts that attach the axel to the tranny
once they are out pull wheel off and theres two ways to go from here first - just pull the 2 bolts out of the struts that attach to the knuckle and pull axel out or ...
second - you can disconnect the ball joint and swaybar that way you dont lose your alignment but i usaully just disconnect the strut
then replace axel and go driving should take about 30 minutes or first time about an hour depending on how mechanically inclined you are
good luck and dont forget the

·
Registered
25,009 Posts
Re: anyone have a how to for replacing cv joint? (smi2710)

Quote, originally posted by smi2710 »
just replace the entire axle
30mm socket and breaker bar
8mm 12 point torx bit (some correct me if im wrong on that size)
18mm socket and wrench and go to town
lossen axel nut ( 30mm socket)
and lossen lugnuts
jack car up and secure with stands
crawl under car start taken out the 6 torx( i think there called that) bolts that attach the axel to the tranny
once they are out pull wheel off and theres two ways to go from here first - just pull the 2 bolts out of the struts that attach to the knuckle and pull axel out or ...
second - you can disconnect the ball joint and swaybar that way you dont lose your alignment but i usaully just disconnect the strut
then replace axel and go driving should take about 30 minutes or first time about an hour depending on how mechanically inclined you are
good luck and dont forget the

thank you for your brief explantion. I'm going to be replacing my axles this weekend, as my CV joint is going south. I'll be using my Bently manual as a guide, but reading your post got the gears in my head turning, and now i'm not worried about it taking up my entire afternoon. Seems like there's really nothing to it. Although...nothing goes as smoothly as planned, when working on a car. lol

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Re: anyone have a how to for replacing cv joint? (smi2710)

crawl under car start taken out the 6 torx

Triple square or 12pt. 8mm IIRC. Not Torx.

Another way is to take out the front control arm bolt and swing the whole a-arm back. Also keeps alignment.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Re: anyone have a how to for replacing cv joint? (MikeBlaze)

Quote, originally posted by MikeBlaze »

Triple square or 12pt. 8mm IIRC. Not Torx.
Another way is to take out the front control arm bolt and swing the whole a-arm back. Also keeps alignment.

thank you i knew i had the wrong name in there and i forgot that you can just take out the one a-arm bolt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts