VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rotated my tires f/b and picked up a new noise. Exterior, only at slow speeds, only on certain surfaces. But it seems definitely tied to the wheels.
Doesn't sound anything near what rubbing/grinding would sound like. But it's not like a new noisy tire either.

·
Registered
15,038 Posts
Re: Anyone have a wheel bearing go bad? What's it sound like? (Jman5000)

my brother has bad bearings on his 98 vr6. When you drive it at a certain rpm the wheels begin to not "shake", but drone ridicuoously. At first I thought his exhaust was rubbing. Then, my dad (expert) said the wheel bearings are bad. There is some shimmying in the wheels if you jack it up. Anyways, we are going to replace them this summer.

·
Registered
29,721 Posts

In less than a year Ive went through 1 set of susp bearings and the second pair were on their way out as well. Great german engineering http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Anyways, Its a crunching/clunking sound

[Modified by steez, 9:38 PM 4-4-2002]

[Modified by steez, 12:32 AM 4-5-2002]

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Re: Anyone have a wheel bearing go bad? What's it sound like? (steez)

A bad wheel bearing will sound like a comination of a roaring/grinding and will change pitch with vehicle speed. Road surface doesn't affect the sound. If you suspect your wheel bearings are going bad check and replace them if necessary immediately. A good friend of mine put off changing a bad rear wheel bearing on his Accord and at a fork in the road in Baltimore he, the car and 3 wheels went left--and his passenger side rear wheel went right. If the bearing seizes at speed it will sheer the axle and send a wheel bounding off on it's own.

·
Premium Member
36,791 Posts

If it goes away at a certain speed, I would say it isn't a wheel bearing. You say it happened after you rotated your tires.... try putting them back to how they were before and seeing if it goes away.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts

Didn't you have problems in the past with your spacers causing problems with vibrations and such? I'd try to remount the wheels, making sure the spacers go in just so and make sure the the lugs are all torqued down evenly.
Much as I'd like to use spacers for cosmetic reasons, they just seem like too much of a pain in the ass to mess with.

·
Banned
1,201 Posts

Wheel bearing sound begins around 10 mph, a very low frequency similar to a low humming voice. As the speed progresses, the pitch gets louder and continious. Modulation would indicate which ball or area of the race is bad (nicked agaist race) from the differet sound it makes during a cycle. Now, if it goes away at a certain speed, it's possible the sound is from something else.
CV joints make clunking sounds and constanly. To tell which CV is bad all you do turn the steering wheel l or r during your test drive. R= left outer joint, L= Right outer joint. If a squealing noise, louder when applying brakes, the anti squeal plates are loose from the last brake job. Installer did not coat brake pads and anti squeal plates with red or blue silicone (brake quite stuff). Scraping metal (disc rotor) is an indicator (Idiot sound as to Idiot light) that brake pads are worn to the metal. Some pads have a tell tail tab which scrapes the rotor to remind you a brake job is needed ASAP.
Strut bearing, steering rack bush and mcphereson struts springs make groaning and clunking sounds when your tax money did not go to the public roads and freeways for a smooth even ride. I hate California for that, I'm thinking of a taking the state to court for paint chips, punctures on tires, glass bullseye, rims getting nicked.
Sorry for long description, just wanting to help and needed to do that (ex vw factory tech). thanks for letting me vent in a small way.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Re: Anyone have a wheel bearing go bad? What's it sound like? (ATO)

Wow this has been very helpful at 342AM. I have a 2001 gti vr6 and I have a noise which after reading this I dont even know where it is coming from. I thought at first I got it after I lowered my car. A low noise near front left tire, only happens between 10-20 rpms. But then I thought it was coming from the back. Does anyone else have this problem? Thanks

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Anyone have a wheel bearing go bad? What's it sound like? (Pkjr703)

I am going to remove/remount the wheels FWIW.
But I torque them down, then retorque them once more.
The spacers I have maintain hubcentricity. So they sit fine. Could this be a wheel balance issue?
There is no squeak, no squeal, no shimmy. The sound reminds me of the sound of the tires when they were brand new. The first 300 miles were noisy at all the corners.
When I did the rotation, I noticed the RIGHT side inner edges showed just a hair more wear than the rest of the same tire. Moreso in the front. They're directional rubber, so I can only move them front-back. Makes me wonder if that "fresher" tread block section brought back that "new tire" noise.
After the rotation I had an alignment done. Nothing was outta whack. Minor adjustments only.
Other thing...I drive my car for work, sometimes 500+ miles in a week and it drives fine. There's no sensation of grinding or rubbing or that anything is outta whack. The performance is there...with a strange unobtrusive noise...but it's there.
PS - If I remount the wheels and it's still there, then I'm going to swap them to their pre-roatation places. If it's still there then, I thought I'd narrow the location by swapping on different front wheels, then moving them to the rear...would this help me deduce where it's from?
PSS - What's the replacement process for bearings like? If I can't figure it out, should I do all 4? Any upgraded lubricants or anything that may help? Can 2 smart guys and a Bentley figure it out?

[Modified by Jman5000, 7:56 AM 4-5-2002]

·
Registered
14,713 Posts

Sorry I can't help with JMan's problem, but I have an interesting one for you:
I posted it in the Suspension forums, but only got a few responses. The more the merrier.

I experience a vibration thru the steering wheel only during high-speed acceleration (i.e., above 80mph) -- BUT -- when I let off the gas at these speeds, the vibration goes away. All other driving conditions or speeds and the vibration is not present, either.
Someone mentioned CV joint(s), but I don't really see this as the problem. The boots are fine and none of the moly grease has been thrown out. Another person suggested motor mounts, but if this were the case, I'd feel it at low speeds when I get on & off the gas.
Right now I'm kinda stumped. I'm plan to start with a double-check of the wheel balancing, even though it was done 2 weeks ago. I'll couple that with swapping wheels front-to-rear and then see what happens.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Re: Anyone have a wheel bearing go bad? What's it sound like? (wolfsburg_de)

I agree, a drone/humming noise with a vibration in the ride. Sounds like a boot-leg supercharger.
I replaced a wheel bearing in a '97 VW Jetta MKIII VR6, it was the passenger side rear. Replaced the bearing, race, and seal since the old bearing was rusty?

·
Registered
23,931 Posts

Just had my wheel bearings replaced. When mine went bad it sortof sounded like a brake caliper was stuck. I wasn't sure if it was the brake or the wheel bearings but when i pulled the wheel and took off the hub it was obvious.
I believe you need a hydraulic press to get those suckers in and out. I went to Performance Automotive over on Roberts Rd to do mine http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Re: Anyone have a wheel bearing go bad? What's it sound like? (Black_MkIV)

quote:[HR][/HR]Max,
does this vibration occur in all gears? have you tried accelerating past 80 in say 3rd gear?[HR][/HR]​
Pretty sure it occurs in all gears (that allow me to go above 80). I'll have to double-check, though. I'll hit the road when there's less traffic later tonight, maybe.
What was your idea?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Re: Anyone have a wheel bearing go bad? What's it sound like? (Max Rebo)

I just had my tires rotated on my Golf and what happens is that the front tires develope a washboard effect on them, and when put on the back, it creates a rumbling noise. Mine occurs at higher speeds. I had this on my '96 Golf and my '01 Golf. Something to do with the suspension I was told. Doesn't sound like this is your problem though

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.