VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Re: Anyone have a wheel bearing go bad? What's it sound like? (steez)

A bad wheel bearing will sound like a comination of a roaring/grinding and will change pitch with vehicle speed. Road surface doesn't affect the sound. If you suspect your wheel bearings are going bad check and replace them if necessary immediately. A good friend of mine put off changing a bad rear wheel bearing on his Accord and at a fork in the road in Baltimore he, the car and 3 wheels went left--and his passenger side rear wheel went right. If the bearing seizes at speed it will sheer the axle and send a wheel bounding off on it's own.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Re: Anyone have a wheel bearing go bad? What's it sound like? (Jman5000)

Didn't you have problems in the past with your spacers causing problems with vibrations and such? I'd try to remount the wheels, making sure the spacers go in just so and make sure the the lugs are all torqued down evenly.
Much as I'd like to use spacers for cosmetic reasons, they just seem like too much of a pain in the ass to mess with.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Re: Anyone have a wheel bearing go bad? What's it sound like? (Max Rebo)

Max,
does this vibration occur in all gears? have you tried accelerating past 80 in say 3rd gear?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.