VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rotated my tires f/b and picked up a new noise. Exterior, only at slow speeds, only on certain surfaces. But it seems definitely tied to the wheels.
Doesn't sound anything near what rubbing/grinding would sound like. But it's not like a new noisy tire either.

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Anyone have a wheel bearing go bad? What's it sound like? (Pkjr703)

I am going to remove/remount the wheels FWIW.
But I torque them down, then retorque them once more.
The spacers I have maintain hubcentricity. So they sit fine. Could this be a wheel balance issue?
There is no squeak, no squeal, no shimmy. The sound reminds me of the sound of the tires when they were brand new. The first 300 miles were noisy at all the corners.
When I did the rotation, I noticed the RIGHT side inner edges showed just a hair more wear than the rest of the same tire. Moreso in the front. They're directional rubber, so I can only move them front-back. Makes me wonder if that "fresher" tread block section brought back that "new tire" noise.
After the rotation I had an alignment done. Nothing was outta whack. Minor adjustments only.
Other thing...I drive my car for work, sometimes 500+ miles in a week and it drives fine. There's no sensation of grinding or rubbing or that anything is outta whack. The performance is there...with a strange unobtrusive noise...but it's there.
PS - If I remount the wheels and it's still there, then I'm going to swap them to their pre-roatation places. If it's still there then, I thought I'd narrow the location by swapping on different front wheels, then moving them to the rear...would this help me deduce where it's from?
PSS - What's the replacement process for bearings like? If I can't figure it out, should I do all 4? Any upgraded lubricants or anything that may help? Can 2 smart guys and a Bentley figure it out?

[Modified by Jman5000, 7:56 AM 4-5-2002]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.