VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have worn dark-colored (black or brown) New Balance 990-series shoes for close to 20 years now, obviously not for the style but for the build quality and since they made in the US. I want to find something else for reasons*. I am one of those people McMike hates: I buy the black ones and wear them to work with khakis because I'm on my feet a lot, crouching and working on equipment and stuff (no one cares).

I found some outdoorsy-looking US-made ones from Keen and Danner and like the Keens okay but was hoping for something a little calmer without the Keens' slashy colored accents. Any secret favorites? I know there are plenty of US-made boots, oxfords, boat shoes, flip flops etc. but I am looking for restrained-looking running/trail running shoes in all-black or brown. Up to $200ish is fine. I'm aware I will probably just end up wearing boots or chukkas or something if I want to stick with a US-made shoe but wanted to see if I had overlooked anything.

Example, might still get these since they would be a good weekend shoe, and made in the US

*Reasons (please don't derail based on this)

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda, Ducati
34,247 Posts
Danner. The work-boots I wear are made in Australia (Redback).

·
Registered
2019 Arteon, 2016 .:R, 1991 Mazda B2600i
1,794 Posts
New Balance

Dewalt Equalizer Composite Toe Low Rise - Dunno of actually made in U.S.A but I adored them while they were available. Wore them everywhere.

Carolina composite toe midrise - Dunno of actually made in U.S.A. But a decent enough replacement for the Dewalts.

I tried Keens, and others before settling on the Carolinas

·
Registered
29,400 Posts
Keen aren't necessarily made in the USA.
Per their customer service dept:

KEEN products are manufactured around the world, including the United States, Cambodia, India, Mexico, the Philippines and Thailand. Regardless of where KEEN manufactures, we are committed to standards that ensure working conditions in our supply chain are safe, that workers are treated with dignity and respect, and that manufacturing processes are environmentally responsible.
I prefer US brand Rockport, but the shoes are not made in the USA.
The pair I'm wearing were made in India.

My Island brand flip-flops, though, were made-to-order in Hawaii. (y)

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda, Ducati
34,247 Posts
Yes. They were 40% off "suggested retail" with free shipping as well.
The quality is good.
Getting a good deal is very important.

·
Registered
29,400 Posts
They have a US collection
Cool. But of the 51 Men's shoes (non-work boot) on their website, only one is assembled in the USA.
Token pride.

Getting a good deal is very important.
The end cost was reasonable. 40% off a BS figure means little, like when Dell puts computers "on sale".

·
Registered
19,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool. But of the 51 Men's shoes (non-work boot) on their website, only one is assembled in the USA.
Token pride.
From what I can find, no major brands make any athletic shoes here aside from Keen, New Balance and a couple toe protection ones from Danner. SAS makes a bunch in San Antonio but I think I need another 20 years before I get those. Pursuit Lace Up Sneaker | SAS Shoes

Poking around a little, it looks like Keen started with no US production but built a factory about 10 years ago and build their higher-end stuff here (similar to New Balance). I'll give them credit for that when no one else is doing it.

These look cool but I like a little more squish

·
Registered
2003 20th AE GTI #2728
151 Posts
I suggest this:

If you dont mind spending a little bit more, maybe a custom shoe or boot would be a good investment. I have worn lots of boots and work shoes in my career. From Georga to Danner to Red Wings... Everyone has their opinions but I firmly believe no OTS shoe or boot can compair to a handmade or fit to order shoe or boot. Well worth the money, especially if you are on your feet all day. It makes a bigger difference than you would think and they last a very long time.

·
Registered
19,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like most of it is done here. What's your point, that since some parts are subbed out, that I might as well get some $39 boots from Faded Glory at Walmart?

·
I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!!
39,888 Posts
Thorogood work boots. I just bought a new pair
I tried to buy some back in late Nov but they were back ordered until February in my size. Bought another pair of Keens instead. Been wearing their work shoes for over ten years and I’ve been very happy with them.

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
35,879 Posts
I've been wearing Keens for years, they hold up well and are good for being on your feet. If you are hung up on only the US-made ones though ti really does limit your style selection.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
I have a pair of US made Redwing boots that are 15 years old. I think every person in my family has worn them at one time or another (always by the back door).
Waterproof, thinsulate, comfortable....

I've replaced the strings twice but they appear to be mostly indestructible.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Some of the Merrell hiking boots are US made, might be worth looking into as they are probably a bit cheaper than the Danners.

·
Just Going with the FLO.
2,237 Posts
I suggest this:

If you dont mind spending a little bit more, maybe a custom shoe or boot would be a good investment. I have worn lots of boots and work shoes in my career. From Georga to Danner to Red Wings... Everyone has their opinions but I firmly believe no OTS shoe or boot can compair to a handmade or fit to order shoe or boot. Well worth the money, especially if you are on your feet all day. It makes a bigger difference than you would think and they last a very long time.
curiousity only?

How much does this cost (I assume it really is a thing)?

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
LL Bean boots are made in the US. Can’t say enough good stuff about LL Bean, but not sure the bean boot is the right choice for your application.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts