VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I cannot for the life of me (or the Bentley Manual) figure out how to remove the windows cranks under the rear windows. The car is a 1990 Cabriolet, and I am trying to replace the rear speakers. I have been looking like crazy, trying to find some incite on how to remove this thing, but I can't find anything. ANY help or advice is always appreciated!

Thank you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I remember correctly, there was a bit of a lip on the cover you had to get up and over the metal of the handle.

Just in case it's an aftermarket or replacement handle, have you checked to see if the indent/cap over the screw pops off on yours?
I wonder if it is aftermarket, it seems like that center circle is just part of the cover. I have been trying again to pry it off, no luck yet. Do you happen to remember what kind of tool you used to pry it? I can't seem to like get it to come off. It gets so CLOSE but never just comes off.
No problem, I'm trying to spend more time on Vortex. The amount of dumb in the majority of the Facebook groups brought me back
Welcome back! Unfortunately with me having joined the forum, (a guy who cannot figure out how to get a window crank cover off), you can't quite escape the dumb. Haha!

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
I wonder if it is aftermarket, it seems like that center circle is just part of the cover. I have been trying again to pry it off, no luck yet. Do you happen to remember what kind of tool you used to pry it? I can't seem to like get it to come off. It gets so CLOSE but never just comes off.
I believe I was able to get it with my finger. If not, a plastic panel pry tool.

I'll see if I can get a picture of mine in a bit

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That should be relatively easy. Just work your way around, and the black belt around in the bottom just slides out (at least mine did).

What all are you doing to it/how deep are you tearing in?
Should the metal handle just pull out once I remove the screw? I can't get this thing off either. Hahaha, today is just not my day. I was gonna install new speakers because the previous owner just kind of threw random junk speakers anywhere they fit (or didn't).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.