VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my cylinder walls are tapered out at the top and I can't affored oversized pistons. are sleeves a realistic alternative for a high performance motor? I don't plan on doing many mods hp wise but will be running the heck out of this car when its done.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Re: anyone have experience with cylinder sleeves? (weeblebiker)

I have only used sleeves rebuilding some vintage bikes, because the cylinders are very rare, not so with VW blocks. It would be so much cheaper finding a decent block and swapping it. I would really rethink this idea. I've given or thrown out 4 good blocks in the last month or two, you should be able to put your hands on one cheap out there as well.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: anyone have experience with cylinder sleeves? (gcarson)

great that they are easy to find. uhm, where around eastern Indiana? did you check the cylinders on all those blocks you said were good? how does one find a good block before paying, shipping, pulling it apart and finding that the cylinder are tapered out? sorry about the sarcasm but seriously from what the machinist said cylinder walls will taper out at the top on almost every motor with over 100k on it. its the point where the side load shifts from side to side. and sleeves will be less expensive than buying and shipping another block.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

just priced labor from the machine shop $90 per.
on the search again for a block

·
Registered
8,341 Posts

Sleeves are for expensive hard to replace engines with no room to bore, or big truck diesels. Bore it or replace it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts