VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a set of new flag mirrors on the car yesterday to discover at highway speed they fold in above 50 mph. Has anyone had this problem or know how to fix it? I'm unsure if you can tighten the bolt in the bottom of the mirror or not...

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Re: Anyone have problem with flag mirrors folding in at highway speeds? (otti)

Quote, originally posted by otti »
i had the problem that they beginn to rattle like crazy...
take the mirror off and tighten the skew on the inside CAREFULLY
repeat as needet

x2

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Anyone have problem with flag mirrors folding in at highway speeds? (chickenfriend)

Thanks, I see the small nut in there, I was just worried that I would mess it up...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Re: Anyone have problem with flag mirrors folding in at highway speeds? (SilverMkII)

mine got so bad that when I shut the door, themirros would fold in.

Just take it off like they said and tighten the nut.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I tried tightning the nut but there still the same... I dont think it will go any tighter... From the get go the nut/bolt just spins...

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Re: (SilverMkII)

Unbolt the assembly and roughen up the contact surfaces. More friction will probably eliminate their tendancy to move on their own.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Re: (cursed)

wow. I'm glad i stumbled across this.
I've had troubles with mine closing at about 80 kph (45-50mph??)
Should be fixed now, it defiantly feels better that i've tightened up that nut

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (cursed)

Thanks, I'll give that a shot
Quote, originally posted by cursed »
Unbolt the assembly and roughen up the contact surfaces. More friction will probably eliminate their tendancy to move on their own.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (saddest6day66)

I bought the ones from rabbitparts and figured they would be a good set. Maybe I just got a bad set who knows. I emailed them and just waiting to here back from them...
Quote, originally posted by saddest6day66 »
bad quality repros do that... search out some old hellas and you wont have that problem... same kind of thing as the new reproduction fenders...

·
Registered
6,701 Posts

bad quality repros do that... search out some old hellas and you wont have that problem... same kind of thing as the new reproduction fenders...

your fenders fold in at 50 mph?

·
Registered
403 Posts

no i was referring to bad quality repros...

all of those flag mirrors do that from what ive heard..

It's an auto-adjusting aerodynamic enhancement feature. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (petrified.rabbit)

Well that just sucks, I really like the flag mirrors.. I guess I will have to source another set of adj mirrors....
Quote, originally posted by petrified.rabbit »
well the OEM flag mirrors on my car folded in @ 75-80 mph no matter how tight the seemed by hand..

·
Registered
21,256 Posts
Re: (petrified.rabbit)

Quote, originally posted by petrified.rabbit »
well the OEM flag mirrors on my car folded in @ 75-80 mph no matter how tight the seemed by hand..

hmm never had that problem with any OEM ones on my cars.. especially new OEM replacement flags.. but i do realize they are hard to come by.
like someone esle mentioned.. maybe try roughing up the 2 surfaces they swivel on? maybe put a washer or two on the bolt to tighten the base up more if the bolt is bottoming out?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Re: Anyone have problem with flag mirrors folding in at highway speeds? (SilverMkII)

I just let mine fold in. I don't trust the mirrors and always look over my shoulder anyway

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (chickenfriend)

Keep in mind there brand new.. I will see what I can do as far as taking them apart and seeing what can be done...
Quote, originally posted by chickenfriend »
Sounds like the bolt has bottomed out the spring. Try a heavier spring?
Also, could try to disassemble and abrade the plastic contact cup of the mirror frame.
Something is seriously wrong if those small mirrors can't be tightened enough. If you were running big ones, like the rudder on the right, shown below, tensioning of the bolt/nut would be more significant:

Modified by chickenfriend at 12:36 PM 4-14-2008

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Re: (pdcm)

Quote, originally posted by pdcm »

It's an auto-adjusting aerodynamic enhancement feature. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

hahahaha - i said the exact same thing in an old post about this same thing http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 28 Posts