VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried a search with limited results. I have a 05.5 Audi A4 38k on it.
I get a pretty loud tapping noise after the car/oil has been warmed up. It is not the standard injector noise. I first thought it was an exhaust leak because it started happening right after the exhaust install. But had it inspected and it isn't a leak.
The indie I took it to, called a friend at the Audi dealer about the noise. And the friend said that he has dealt with this issue once before, and it ended up being the cam chain tensioner.
So it is kind of an "educated" shot in the dark, but still a shot in the dark non the less, and I will be out of pocket. Just trying to figure out if it is worth the potential of wasting money (if it doesn't end up being the problem).
Oh I have ran a vag com scan, and never get any codes etc....

· Registered
123 Posts
Re: Anyone have their Cam Chain tensioner replaced? (Tusin)

Are you referring to the tensioner mounted on the cylinder head that tensions the timing chain between the two camshafts or the actual hydraulic adjuster in the exhaust camshaft? Does the car misfire when this noise happens? You may want to pull the valve cover off and inspect the valve train while turning the engine over by hand ONLY IN THE DIRECTION OF ENGINE TRAVEL. Maybe you can reproduce the noise? Also try narrowing down the source of the tapping noise using a mechanics stethoscop or screwdriver. Does it sound like piston slap/rod knock? Happen always or only under a load?

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Anyone have their Cam Chain tensioner replaced? (VDubGTi08)

He is referring to the tensioner between the two cams. It only happens once the engine is warm, and doesn't really make the noise at idle. More pronounced at about 1200-1500 rpms. And then pretty much goes away after that.
At first I thought it was an exhaust leak, because the first time I heard the noise was when I picked up the car after I had it installed. That is what I initially took it in for today. But we couldn't find a leak.
Here is a video of my engine when I was trying to pinpoint a different noise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAL_rPEmvyM

· Registered
6,872 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Tusin »

Here is a video of my engine when I was trying to pinpoint a different noise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAL_rPEmvyM

Sounds like something on that side of the engine .
I would check your HPFP follower and cam first but its deff coming from the same area of the motor .Good luck
Bob.G

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Anyone have their Cam Chain tensioner replaced? (rracerguy717)

Thanks dude:) Yeah since the video I replaced my Cam Follower (old one was in pretty dang good shape for 38,000 miles). So that has pretty much been ruled out. Doing an oil change this weekend so I may pull it again just to make sure.
But you are correct the noise is right there by the HPFP, which is near the timing chain tensioner.
I am going to buy a mechanics stethoscope today (think it may work a bit better then my screwdriver lol) and will report back. Probably take another video too.

· Registered
5,061 Posts

ACtually not vanes but eccentrics. The vacuum pump operates by the cam turning the eccentrics, one inside the other, in the pump. It is possible that the pump has excessive play or is worn and making noise.

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Anyone have their Cam Chain tensioner replaced? (Uber-A3)

Hmmm very interesting. I will look into that.
Oh does anyone know if there is a gasket that would need to be replaced? What I can see from a picture I found, it just looks like the VW Smurf Glue:)

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So got that back cover off. But for the life of us, cannot get the tensioner out. Was told it can be revmoved with out removing the entire valve cover. Does that sound correct or did I get some mis information?

· Registered
123 Posts
Re: (Tusin)

Once the cover is out of the way there should be 3 T30 Torx fasteners holding it down. If your not going to reuse the old one I dont think you need to worry about locking the tensioner fully compressed, although it might make removal a bit easier? You shouldnt need to pull the valve cover off to remove the chain tensioner. I believe torque spec on those fasteners are 10 Nm. Also make sure the screen for the oil passages doesnt fall out when removing/installing the tensioner.

· Registered
1,066 Posts
Re: (Tusin)

I've had several occurrences of the cam tensioner going bad in 1.8T's, the symptom was always fairly loud rattling on engine start that went away after 5-10s once engine oil pressure fully up. I would think a failing one on a 2.0T would be similar but you never know. I wouldn't rule out failing DMF either, a stethoscope might help, and also have someone start the engine for you when it is cold while standing in front with hood open and see if you can identify any weird noises.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.