VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
My buddy runs a fab shop and has a cnc plasma cutter table like that. Its all right but i am sure you are wanting to make head and turbo flanges, and I've cad'd out some stuff and got it cut but there is just too much slag on the backside after its done, laser cutting is soo much cleaner and accurate.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (Passenger Performance)

Flanges would not be the primary items made. There are places like BMC that I purchase our flanges from. anything I cut will probly be under .25"

·
Registered
2,993 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Passenger Performance »
My buddy runs a fab shop and has a cnc plasma cutter table like that. Its all right but i am sure you are wanting to make head and turbo flanges, and I've cad'd out some stuff and got it cut but there is just too much slag on the backside after its done, laser cutting is soo much cleaner and accurate.

I'm not a machinist but water jet would be the best way to cut a 1/2" thick flange considering the price of a CNC laser which can cut 1/2"... just one that cut 1/8" is REALLY expensive.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Passenger Performance »

His plasma is not setup correctly if it is leaving slag on the backside of the cut, either the input voltage is too low or the feed rate is too high or low. A properly run plasma will cut as cleanly as a laser, the only difference is that a plasma will leave a slight amount of draft whereas a laser won't.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Re: Anyone have this machine? (zornig)

Quote, originally posted by zornig »
Or know of anyone that does and can give me some feedback on it? Im seriously considering buying one.
http://www.plasmacam.com/index.php

I've never seen that particular machine before, but everything about it looks good. I'd say go for it if the price is right. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
259 Posts
Re: Anyone have this machine? (zornig)

Hey Zornig,
Build one yourself! CNC machines are my other hobby besides cars, lol as if my screen name didn't give that away. Time is always the issue though I suppose when it would come to building something like that. But believe me it can be done, and very, very reasonably priced. The key would be these things called gecko drives (geckodrive.com). They take a step and direction signal out of any pc's parrallel port (printer) and convert it into motion using stepper (very cheap) or servo motors (also can be cheap if you find the right deal). There are many software packages (most free) that would basically make your pc into a cnc control. Basically you just need to build the frame and misc. parts, rig up the motors with some kind of timing belt system (most common, could use rack and pinion too), make some kind of simple guideway system and hook up all the electrics and you would be off and cutting. Check out cnczone.com, there are a bunch of guys on there who have built their own. I am in the process of retrofitting one of my Bridgeports with those drives, should be pretty cool and it's way cheaper than buying something like a prototrak retorfit kit (~10g's). I can almost guarantee you that machine you linked to runs off of a PC, and uses drives very similar to the geckos. There are all kinds of companies popping up lately selling ~homebuilt style cnc machines. The mini mills are extremely popular. let me know if you think about taking it on yourself, I have done tons and tons of research about this stuff and could point you in the right direction.
-Pete

·
Registered
625 Posts
Re: Anyone have this machine? (130_R)

Well I cant say that it is set up properly, I dunno how its supposed to be done, but I figured it was normal cause even with justa handheld plasma you get slag on the backside, not a lot but its still not as nice as laser or water cut. If I just got it all worng that would be great and I would be interested in one of these tables as well.
Zornig you wanna tell us how that info kit is when you get it? Give us all the scoop.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Anyone have this machine? (cncpete)

Thanks for the offer cncpete, but to be honest I dont have the time to make it.
I will defintly get everyone the details on this when I get the info packet.
Jim

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hey thats awesome man! Let us know how the setup and such goes, I would really like to see how it does for head/turbo flanges. What kind of plasma cutter are you going to use with it? I have one of those video packets from them comming anytime now. I am jealous you got one comming. ETA?

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I already have a thermal dynamics 51 but I havent order the plasmacam yet. Im hoping it doesnt take too long to come in. I will update this when its ordered. Shoudl eb sometime next week.
Jim

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.