VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,661 Posts
Re: Anyone heard of the "Boomerang" tracking device? (2lowA4)

Sounds like Lojack to me.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Re: Anyone heard of the "Boomerang" tracking device? (2lowA4)

Unlike LoJack, which uses designated proprietary radio towers, Boomerang uses cell phone technology to track a vehicle. For both systems, tracking is limited to where there is cell service or where LoJack infrastructure exists...meaning a car could be hidden in parking garage or a steel container and still be pretty hard to find.
I'd rather have a good immobilizer and not have my car stolen in the first place.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Re: Anyone heard of the "Boomerang" tracking device? (ClownCar)

quote:[HR][/HR]Unlike LoJack, which uses designated proprietary radio towers, Boomerang uses cell phone technology to track a vehicle. For both systems, tracking is limited to where there is cell service or where LoJack infrastructure exists...meaning a car could be hidden in parking garage or a steel container and still be pretty hard to find.
I'd rather have a good immobilizer and not have my car stolen in the first place. [HR][/HR]​
Even with an immobilizer there's no guarantee...if they really want it, it'll be stolen!

·
Super Moderator
11,661 Posts
Re: Anyone heard of the "Boomerang" tracking device? (Silver Ghost)

A bunch of rental companies started using Boomerang to track "choice" vehicles around ports of exit because they had too many vehicles walk away on them. They use cellular towers to track the cars(including:Grand Cherokee, lincolns, Caddys, and for some unkonwn reason Grand Caravans). It sounds an alarm when the vehicles go within a couple miles of a shipyard. Sounds great, but once the cars are in the shipping containers to go to South America, Europe or even the US(from Canada) the tracking signal disappears.
I just read that this morning at work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts