VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this is an old issue - I am new to this forum.
I have a 1997 Passat 1.8T Variant (stick shift). Ever since we got it (from new) I have complained to my garage that it doesn't seem to pull as hard as I think it should and that it drinks gas which in my book is a symptom of all not being well. Anyway, of course the garage plugs in their computer, says everything is fine, and tell me to go on my way......
Here are some more details of what I experience
Torque - if I floor my right foot from about 1500 rpm I get some increase in pull at around 1800 but far far from dramatic. In fact it feels as if it continues to pull harder as the revs rise between 2500 and 3000 rpm but according to the figures the torque curve is flat between 1750 and 4000.
Noise - don't know whether I should be able to hear the turbo or whether it is just well soundproofed in the passat
Gas mileage - I get at least 10% worse than the VW claimed average figures driving without a heavy right foot - ca 26 US MPG. Anyway it drinks more than my VR6 did. Whenever I rent a car they are always more economical but the Passat 1.8T should be one of the best. I never ever get anywhere close to the out of town European numbers VW publish of 36 MPG.
Idle speed whilst coasting - one other thing is very strange - if I take the car out of gear whilst moving, the revs drop to 1000 and then often climb back to just over 1200. When I stop it drops back to just under 1000. This is only when warm (i.e. never during warm up) and is not 100% of the time. I can't figure this out because as far as I understand the ECU should be trying to get the engine to idle at 950 but somehow can't manage it whilst the car is moving. (This is with clutch in and out of gear so definitely no drive from gearbox). Sensor issue?
All in all I find this very frustrating. I keep reading about everyone praising this engine for being so good but I find it a real slug. Any advice would be welcome...........

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Re: Anyone help figure out why my 1.8T is such a slug? (williamsml)

Well for one thing you are down about 27hp from your VR6. Was your VR6 in a Passat as well? As far a torque is concerned it should feel stronger the more you rev up till about 5000rpm then it will drop off. Can't really comment on the gas mileage since I don't know what sort of driving you do. What octane fuel are you using?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Anyone help figure out why my 1.8T is such a slug? (tobyc)

To Toby,
thanks for the quick reply. Yup, don't expect it to pull like a VR6 (Golf 3) which does pull like a train. If the torque curve is flat (ecu controlled boost) between 1750 and 4000 it should feel like a constant acceleration shouldn't it? Have tried both 95 and 98 Octane (DIN) which is the highest you can get in Europe without any noticeable difference at all.
Mark.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts