VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just had my first go playing with erWin, VW's service section on their website. First impressions are that it is very handy. You subscribe which is free then you search for what you need about whatever VW model you have. In my case I was after stuff on the suspension and running gear for a 2001 Transporter......and there it is....the section of the VW workshop manual dealing with 'Running Gear', yours to download for 18 odd Euros for twelve months access. This section turns out to be about 120 pages of secured PDF that you need a free plugin to Acrobat Reader to get into offline via your browser. The plugin was a 2.7MB download whilst the running gear section was another 2.2MB so you're going to need a decent connection speed to make it all work.
Once in you can print it all out for future reference.......
You can also get hold of service bulletins etc through erWin.
I know it may be cheaper in the long run to get the Bentley manual (or any other aftermarket effort) but this VW effort has some pretty detailed material and for me is somewhat easier to get hold of. Not only that but you only get what you need.
Check it out.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No parts listings that I can find but the doc I do have access to has many many many exploded diagrams (such as the front hubs) with all components labelled. Makes it a heck of a lot easier to identify the bits - once you have the part name and your VIN number it easy to hassle parts dudes over the phone.
Site does say that the available list of product is not complete too. Perhaps the parts list is still to be made available........it'll cost a packet though when it does.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Re: Anyone here played with erWin? (Seano)

i was talking to the Bentley people yesterday about getting another CD. the person on the phone told me that Bentley is about to roll out an online version of their manuals. there will be a "subscription fee" to access their online manuals and she could not tell me the exact time frame or the fee.
she did say it would be Very soon.
something else to consider.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Anyone here played with erWin? (FreeStage3)

The biggest problem with the Bentley manual (apart from cost) is the fact that they deal only with North American spec T4's - so none of the later TDi motors nor any mention at all of syncro.
Kind of a bummer for those of us outside the US and Canada.
erWin appears to be exactly the same as the Bentley manual even right down to many of the chapter headings. It is just that erWin appears to have every T4 variant from a mechanical point of view.
I would imagine Bentley's subscription idea won't be that dissimilar to erWin.
http://erwin.volkswagen.de/index.html
It'll have to do until someone gets around to doing a plain old book based service manual.........

·
Registered
20,566 Posts
Re: Anyone here played with erWin? (Seano)

I have a question about this, as I find it a bit interesting. Do you also have access to the Audi documents, and are wiring diagrams included?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No access to Audi that I can see. Wiring diagrams? Absolutely. Well - the T4's are there.
If you want to check out what's available it is free to browse to chapter heading level.

·
Registered
20,566 Posts
Re: (Seano)

I had an extensive look on the VW site, but I feel a bit confused. 2 questions:
1) If you go to https://erwin.audi.de will your username and password work there? Would you be so kind to try it out for me?
2) Did I understand it correct that it is free to registrate and you pay for what you download? That's what it looks like to me, when reading the (same) info on both erwin.vw.de and erwin.audi.de

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Answers
1. No. Bummer.
2. Yes it is free to register. After that everything costs. And what you buy is a 12 month subscription to each document - you can access that doc as many times as you like in that 12 month period even if there are updates. Renewal is automatic too for each doc so if you want it only once then you'll have to cancel your subscription or they'll hit again for it automatically after twelve months. You can also request docs by CD but after twelve months it may turn into a coffee coaster......
To get round this I have printed my doc out.....120 pages of 'suspension, axles and steering' for 18.4 euros.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.