VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
34,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've run the SRS setup, and it handled really well, but for as much as I drag the rear rates were just too low. That was with their coils and #300fr/200rr and Bilsteins.
I figured you guys would know a good front/rear bias to run when running stock sways or slightly larger front sway and stiffer rears.
This isn't a dedicated AutoX car, so I'm not looking to go over about 400# rr.
Any help is appreciated.

· Registered
2,667 Posts
Re: Anyone here running higher rear spring rates then fronts? (need_a_VR6)

Hey Paul, I run 400# front and 600# rear (Ground Control) with a big front bar on my Scirocco and my Dad's Mk2 Jetta runs 500# front/500# rear (FK Konigsport) with a big rear bar. If you want to meet up at NGP or something sometime and go for a ride, probably in either, let me know.
The FK's do a very good job, and really don't feel too stiff, especially with the shocks turned to full soft. The FKs were originally for a Mk3 VR6, so it gives you a bit higher spring rate.
If you got something like ground control coilovers you could play with different spring rates to try some things. A good start might be something like a big front bar, stock rear bar, 250-300# front springs, and 400# rear springs. Or, you could keep stock bars front and back and try 400#/400#. But I'm assuming even a little extra weight over the front is better for drag, so a front bar would be better

· Registered
34,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Anyone here running higher rear spring rates then fronts? (Mhyrr)

Yeah thanks for the advice. I'd like to feel how your Scirocco feels on the street. Probably too harsh though. I'm thinking 300/400 would work nice with a stock or just a touch bigger then stock front bar.
Is your car oversteer happy with the setup, or does it make it pretty neutral?

· Registered
2,667 Posts

I don't push it too terribly hard on the street. On the R compounds, if the tires are cold, the tail can get happy. But once the tire temps are up, its remarkably neutral. Anything else can generally be dialed out with the shocks.
It's pretty damn harsh on the street. Delrin bushings don't help, and it also only weighs 1800 lbs with those rates. A heavier car would be somewhat better.

· Registered
1,053 Posts

I ran 375F/450R (Ground Control)on my old a2 FSP car. It was a ball on the street with the cheapo tire I used to and from events all over the NorCal SoOre mountains. It had a BSI rear bar and GTi front bar and Stiffer Konis in rear than front. It was very drivable on the street tires cause they never heated up, but could be a handful with stickies on early autocross runs in transitions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.