VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone is going crazy over the new Bronco but is anyone thinking of getting the Bronco Sport? I actually had a deposit down on the Bronco but decided to cancel my order because after I did a couple configures I decided I dont want a $600-700 a month car payment. I just watched a video review of the Bronco Sport and was semi interested, but at the same time I would almost be kinda embarrassed to get the Sport because it might be considered the "hairdresssers" Bronco.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Just get a base bronco with no options, or get a used Wrangler. Bronco Sport is nice and all, but yeah it is the hairdresser version.

·
Registered
80 Caddy, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
24,316 Posts
Or... Maybe you just drive what you want and forget about what anyone else thinks about it.
Yeah I'm going with this. I don't remember thinking the Bronco II was a hairdresser version of the Bronco when they were out. Just a smaller version.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts

·
Registered
23,532 Posts
I guess it's "OK" if you're nostalgic for the stylistic milquetoastness of a first-generation Ford Escape. Honestly, in a sea of compact SUVs, it just seems "meh".

·
Registered
38,966 Posts
I am curious who the Bronco Sport is for.

People want Jeeps, and are willing to own a Compass or a Renegade in order to get JEEP.

The Bronco sport (to me, at least) seems like a Compass/Renegade. A cheaper way to get BRONCO.

Is the Bronco image strong enough to convince people to get the lesser model?

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I guess it's "OK" if you're nostalgic for the stylistic milquetoastness of a first-generation Ford Escape. Honestly, in a sea of compact SUVs, it just seems "meh".

I am curious who the Bronco Sport is for.

People want Jeeps, and are willing to own a Compass or a Renegade in order to get JEEP.

The Bronco sport (to me, at least) seems like a Compass/Renegade. A cheaper way to get BRONCO.

Is the Bronco image strong enough to convince people to get the lesser model?
For people who are image conscious (and in this day and age, thats a good % of people) their vehicles are an extension of them, generally. If they want to be seen as..

• rugged
  • outdoorsy
  • active
  • exciting/interesting
  • adventurous

They gravitate towards any sort of vehicle that exudes that image. You see this in plenty of "instagram" cars and trucks that millennials flock towards. Good examples of these are..

• 4Runner
  • Tacoma
  • Full-Size Trucks with A/T Tires/Off Road Trims (See: Tundra TRD, GM Trial Boss, Ford FX4 & Raptor, RAM Rebel, etc)
  • Jeep "Trailhawk" models (Renegade, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee)
  • Frontier/Xterra
  • FJ Cruiser
  • Wrangler

..and more. Not only do these vehicles hold their value better because they are useful AND popular, they are high margin items for manufacturers so of course they're going to go ape pushing them. A Renegade costs as much as a Dart to produce but they can sell it for 8-25% more depending on options and trim.

Furthermore, you are seeing the "watering down" of these big brands like Jeep, Bronco, and to an extent TRD with the RAV-4 TRD Off Road to attract a base of consumers that is more budget constrained or doesn't need serious wheeling capability, but just the image. I mean for crying out loud, the TRD Off Road is the most expensive version of the Rav4 available in non-hybrid form. Highest margin!

·
Registered
29,728 Posts
I like the boxy styling of the Bronco Sport, but would be hesitant to pay a premium for the Bronco name.

Not a fan of the Compass, and the Italian build quality of the Renegade is sad.

There really is no choice here.

·
Registered
20,646 Posts
No thanks.
It's a dressed up ford escape with a 3 cylinder...
I had a 3cyl AWD Escape loaner and I liked it more than I thought I would. More pah than a rental Sportage I had around the same time (2.4 NA 6AT) with a better transmission and a strangely endearing engine note. Almost sounded diesel-like, especially at idle.

But yes, it’s nothing I’d rush out and spend $30k on, even if the Bronco Sport looks are good. I’m just not in the market for a “good” cute ute. No knock to anyone who is.

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
36,219 Posts
It’s a fine competitor in the huge-selling CUV class that leans a bit more outdoorish alongside the Cherokee.

Nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
34,891 Posts
It’s a fine competitor in the huge-selling CUV class that leans a bit more outdoorish alongside the Cherokee.
Speaking of the Cherokee, I had a rental Cherokee two weeks ago and those things have absolutely zero traction on any kind of incline or if the pavement is damp. It was shocking just how bad the traction is for FWD Jeeps. Way worse than any sedan I've driven in recent memory, and certainly much worse than my parents' CR-V. In fact, nearly every affordable crossover and SUV is FWD or at least only 2WD.

The Bronco Sport is 100% AWD. There is no such thing as a 2WD Bronco Sport regardless of trim level, which is a huge improvement in the real world. That alone fully justifies its existence, especially after I experienced firsthand that a Cherokee will do 1-tire burnouts for as long as you keep your foot down if the road is damp, and that is not a good thing for people who want the ability to make a vehicle actually move forward when they press the accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah at first I was like this looks like a more offroad version of the old Escape. Then I was wondering why Ford would water down the Bronco name and make this but I guess they figured out they can just repeat what they did with the Escape and reap in the profits of the old Escape and or Land Rover Freelander drivers.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
pretty big letdown of an interior, this is the outer banks

ford also needs to move on from the 'ice blue' backlighting

·
Registered
83,189 Posts
The real question is how does it drive?
I like the general looks.
That 1.5 liter 3 cylinder does really well in the new Escape according to road test reviews, performs much better than the old 1.5 liter four banger.
So that engine doesn't bother me a bit in a small all wheel drive thing.
The healthy midrange torque belies it's size.
I do wish Ford would quit playing the trim game.
The base Bronco Sport come with four-wheel drive standard but you can only get it in white black gray and silver.
Come on.
And anybody that originally liked the Renegade but is now calling this Bronco Sport a hairdresser's car should just leave now.:beer:

1 - 20 of 97 Posts